Silver Sebright comb "spike"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gryeyes, May 25, 2010.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Okay, I don't have pictures YET of my 7 wk old chicks, but both have developed the spike at the back of the rose comb. Please tell me the pullets can have the spike on their combs too.... I don't want TWO roos. The combs are not very prominent at all, but the spikes were odd looking enough I had to go read up on the breed standards. However, nothing was said about whether the pullets/hens get the spike too.

I have another Silver and one Golden Sebright chick, each about a week and a half to 2 weeks old. I bought all four straight run, but am hoping I didn't get all roosters.

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I believe that the spike is a bit more prominent on the males, but the females have them too.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Oh, I could kiss you (as a friend) for that information! I know it won't ensure my Sebrights are pullets, but just the hope that one or both of the two eldest might yet be pullets is such a relief. THANK YOU!

4. chickenman98

chickenman98 Songster

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    hens have small spikes too

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:Oh, I could kiss you (as a friend) for that information! I know it won't ensure my Sebrights are pullets, but just the hope that one or both of the two eldest might yet be pullets is such a relief. THANK YOU!

I don't know if my husband would like that, then again, you know men [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by