Silver Sebright not very committed to sitting...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by El Gallo Pinto, Jul 5, 2010.

1. El Gallo Pinto

El Gallo Pinto New Egg

Jun 22, 2010
    I have a silver hen that won't stay on the nest.
    One morning I found the eggs were cold.
    I suppose she won't be providing any chicks for me.
    BTW, is it okay for me to just let a hen raise her own chicks instead of me putting them in an incubator...if not, why not?
    Jason

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Don't give up on her or the eggs, How long has she been trying to semi-sit on the eggs? If she just started getting broody, she should settle in on them, & the eggs should be o.k.

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    One of my first year cochins did that. One one day and off the next for three weeks ! But eventually she sat for goods and the chicks surprisingly hatched. 6 out of 8. So i think i would just sit back and watch.

Is yours a first year too?

4. El Gallo Pinto

El Gallo Pinto New Egg

Jun 22, 2010
    I traded asparagus plants for her so I don't know how old she is, but know she is not more than a year or so most likely.
    So even though the half of the eggs are over 21 days old they could still hatch?

After she laid her 8th egg I started removing additional eggs. Is she waiting to fill her nest before she gets broody? Should I have let her keep laying eggs without taking them to get her to set?

Thanks!
    Jason

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    First, are you sure she is broody and not just sitting in the nest to lay? I had two hens that I lost this winter that were about a year and half old and they never set. I also have a third Sebright hen that still hasn't set and she's getting close to two years old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by