1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver sebright throat gash

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cknldy, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    [​IMG]went outside to clean yard, thought I had bantam brooder box cat proof. Came back in to find cat on top of fencing! This little silver got gashed on the side of the throat- I put triple antibiotic salve in/ on the wound but in its efforts to keep it self clean it is taking the salve off. Of course the other chicks see this gaping wound and want to pick at it too! Red bulb makes it too hot in brooder, no blue spray. Is there anything else I could do for it other than separating it from the others? It looks to be just a deep superficial wound.

2. Cknldy

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How is chick? I would separate her,otherwise the other chicks will definitely peck/pick at this which could have dire consequences. Give her a child proof stuffed animal to cuddle with until wound has healed.

4. Cknldy

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    I'm thinking this chick has got to be a cockerel because it is one tough baby! It wasn't even acting like it was hurt initially. Kept trying to clean off the salve. I put it back in the brooder with the others and watched it for over an hour- aside from an occasional curious peck from 2 other chicks which received a harsh peck in return it has been fine! Eating, drinking, running, playing, pooping and sleeping just like the others:) You can't tell it is hurt unless you really look on the side or it is stretching. I was so worried because of the reputation for silver sebrights being so sensitive and hard to raise yet this chick proves otherwise;-)

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you have some blue food coloring it might work in place of BluKote, but that product is worth it's weight in gold, and you'll find that it comes in handy for broken bleeding feathers, feather picking, injuries etc. It contains alcohol, but the other ingredient, gentian violet, is an antifungal, and also available in the first aid aisles of WalMart for half the cost.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  6. Cknldy

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Awesome- thanks for the tip!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by