Silver Silkie twitching head and sniffly. . . Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Paaz1120, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Paaz1120

Paaz1120 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Hi everyone We need your help!!

We have a Beautiful Silver Bearded Silkie Hen who just hasn’t been acting herself lately and we are REALLY worried!

She was hatched on April 23, 20010, so she is 7 months old.

Her symptoms are:
    She is still tiny compared to her siblings but that isn’t our worry.

Our Worries:
    1. When she gets excited, startled, scared, etc. . . her head starts to twitch and spasm really bad.
    2. When she eats it sounds like she is chocking, and cant breath but she is fine
    3. She sounds sniffly, but doesn’t have a runny nose, no discharge, etc. .

How it all started:
    She never did this until about a month ago, we had a lady come and get baby ducks off us, and she went to pick up our Silver Silkie to show her little girls (Who never touched her), and our silkie went between a bucket and the fence. The lady picked her up and our Hen started to twitch her head really bad. After a few seconds she stopped but now it has been happening more and more when she gets excited, scared, startled, etc. . . what can I do?

Would antibiotics help?

Please help, anyone!

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  3. Paaz1120

May 15, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Thank you soo much!! Cant wait to see the link!
    Thats what we tought because she was fine one minute and spazing the next. We are soo worried!!
    Will she be ok? or will she always bee like this? Its been over a month now. [​IMG]

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have a few silkies that I call my little "bobbleheads" . They usually only "bobble" sometimes. I will look for the treatment recipe I know I have it somewhere.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Well anyway, I had a roo that was having seizures from a head bop and I treated him with a tiny speck of prednisone every 12 hours and also a few drops of pedialyte (baby vitamin drops) with out iron on his tongue 2 X a day., for a week. And the second week I dropped the prednisone to once a day and still the vitamins, and he was better after that. Every situation is different with these cases so you really wont know what to expect. And I must add that I am not a vet, I am just saying what I did.

6. Paaz1120

May 15, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Thank you soo much!! I have actually read the first 2 articles before and totally forgot about them. I was thinking that she may have hit her little head when the lady had picked her up.

She is such apretty little thing! I hope she gets better, if she is like this permantly then she will be even more pampared then before! lol
    she is a house chicken now.

I would love to hear that recipe when you find it. : ) Thank you soo much!!

7. Paaz1120

May 15, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I understand!! It will be my decision if I try what you have told me you have done and it worked, so if anything happens it will be my decision.

where do I get prednisone at? I have the vitamins and have been giving her some.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    A vet should prescribe them for you, you may need to educate the vet about this brain injury/silkie head.

9. Paaz1120

May 15, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Ok. Thank you soo much!! I will try it and keep you updated!!

THANK YOU AGAIN!!

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Your welcome,, you have a message in your pm box [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by