Silver Spangeled Hamburgs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FunnyFarmMomma, Aug 29, 2011.

1. FunnyFarmMomma

FunnyFarmMomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    I looked for a thread but couldn't find one.

Everything I've read says that SSHs aren't very broody, but I was wondering if anyone has any that has hatched some. I would really like chicks later but don't have an incubater. I really hope one of my four will eventually hatch some but they are just now starting to lay (two eggs and counting).

Thanks for any information you can provide:caf

2. gallorojo

gallorojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    A good friend of mine has SSH. They started to go broody the 2nd and 3rd years. This year, the 4th, all his old hens and many of the younger ones went broody. He lets them hatch out what they want when they want, and whatever lives gets kept. After 4 years, he mostly has SSH and mixes thereof-they are good free rangers, very quick and active. If you buy a good many hamburgs, some will eventually go broody. If you want them to be broody, mark the broody hen, and only hatch her eggs each subsequent year. If you keep only broody hens long term, and only hatch their eggs, you can develop a broody strain in a few years.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Mine from LaGendre never was broody but they are lovely as they can be! Love them!

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I have a couple that went broody not long after they began to lay. Hatched their peeps and now that I have only females when they go broody I give them d'Uccle eggs.

I was told the same thing, that broodiness is not their thing. I do have one that will break broody the moment I take her eggs from her.

5. Stumpfarmer

Stumpfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by