Silver Spangled Hamburg and Silver Lakenvelder

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cottagechick, Jul 11, 2011.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I am trying to figure out which breeds to get. I am considering going with a few Bantams and a Hamburg and a Lakenvelder. Does anyone have any insight into either of these breeds and what benefits/liabilities they might add...

2. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    I have both breeds that you mention. In my experience the Hamburgs are quite a bit more amiable toward humans. As with any animal, the environment they are in and the amount and type of human interaction are factors in temperament. The bantam Lakenvelders seem to be much more flighty than Hamburgs, Vorwerks or Campines.

3. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Thanks for the info.
    Since you have had experience with these birds, I have couple of questions. I have a quarter of an acre. The place that I am planning on putting them will be about 20'x8'. The Campane, the Lakenvelder, and the Hamburg all seem to want to have a large space. I am concerned that the area I am planning to put them would not be big enough. I would love to let them out in rest of the yard for whatever time they need each day, but I am concerned about the flightiness. We do have large wild birds around and neighbors. Do you think they would be safe at all roaming the yard. Would they be unhappy in the enclosure size I am planning.

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by