Silver Spangled Hamburg chicks are the wrong color

Chknldy

Chirping
14 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Norco, Calif
We have a pen with only Bantam Silver Spangled Hamburgs and we hatched out 4 eggs. These are all purebred birds and the cock and one of the 4 hens is show quality the rest are hatchery birds but have reasonably good markings and body type. Unfortunately all the chicks hatched are almost completely black. A couple have a few slivers of white randomly on their body and one has gold feathers on its neck. My question is this a common fault that should be culled from the breeding stock or should I wait to see how they develop out? They are currently about 9-10 weeks old and lost all of there baby fluff but have not gone through their first molt. I will add photos in the comments when I can. Thanks

This one has the gold threading and no white at all

Attachments

• 2018052195135451.jpg
    2018052195135451.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 38
This is one of the better looking ones with the most amount of white. His legs are also lighter; some of the others have black legs which I don't think is the accepted standard.

Attachments

• 2018052195135631.jpg
    2018052195135631.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 36
We have a pen with only Bantam Silver Spangled Hamburgs and we hatched out 4 eggs. These are all purebred birds and the cock and one of the 4 hens is show quality the rest are hatchery birds but have reasonably good markings and body type
From the look of the two chick posted, they are NOT from your purebred line, to be honest the look like a random sex linked cross from a Black rooster with silver spangled hens, and from the look of the cross the black rooster is a gold based rooster, you have a sex link cross there, I see a gold based pullet, silver cockerel(S/s+, dominant silver, but will show lemon colors when fully grown)

Posting pics of ALL of the birds you have on the pen will help us find the culprit of this as your silver spangled rooster is not the father of those chicks

I'll have to check with my daughter about when she collected these eggs. The hatchery hens were running loose in the yard with a variety of cocks from golden necked D'Uccle to Australorps before we put them in with the show cock so maybe these eggs were fertilized before they went in the pen. What I wanted to know and I think this is what you are saying is that if we breed silver to silver we should only get silver. I know some varieties will have the occasional sport that we just need to to cull but the breeding stock is still sound. If this continues I will assume the hatchery birds have recessive genes and remove them from the pen.

I'll have to check with my daughter about when she collected these eggs. The hatchery hens were running loose in the yard with a variety of cocks from golden necked D'Uccle to Australorps before we put them in with the show cock so maybe these eggs were fertilized before they went in the pen. What I wanted to know and I think this is what you are saying is that if we breed silver to silver we should only get silver. I know some varieties will have the occasional sport that we just need to to cull but the breeding stock is still sound. If this continues I will assume the hatchery birds have recessive genes and remove them from the pen.
The australorps is likely the father of those chicks

Back
Top Bottom