Silver Spangled Hamburg Hen x Easter Egger Roo

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ggrap, Nov 5, 2008.

1. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    In July I discovered that my SS Hamburg was sitting on a clutch of eggs under the gazebo. I had never had one sneak around and do this before! And I did not think this breed was broody at all, in general. My first clue was when she started tearing out from under there and attacking the barn cat. Anyway, the interesting thing is that I discovered that the silver color in the female must be a sex-linked trait. All of the boys are silver and black, and the girls are all brown and black. All have white ears. I will be interested in the egg color, but thinking it will be white. The SS Hamburg lays pretty small white eggs, but the EE lay pretty decent sized green ones. Maybe I will get bigger white eggs from this cross. Any thoughts?

2. Sally8

Sally8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Hornby,NY
    Did you ever get any responses to this? I have the same thing going on.

3. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    difinitely sex linking going on. i suspect the eggs will be greenish. They probably won't get much bigger than the mom coming from small eggs, they had to start the size of hamburgs, i don't know but suspect the cross with the hen being the EE would create a large chicken since it starts bigger.

4. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    With the hamburgh hen the hybrids would be bigger because of the sexlinked genes of the bigger father.
    The eggsize doesn't matter in the long run.
    The eggs would be green indeed.

5. clarsen5325

clarsen5325 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2014
    Pine valley, CA
    I have the same thing too! I know this is a super old post but I'm curious what it looks like and what color eggs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by