Silver spangled hamburg x with leg horns??

batchhatchin

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 28, 2014
North central Texas
Has anyone made the cross using a hamburg rooster over white leg horn hens? If so what was the out come. I've got a dozen or so leg horn hens I'm about to breed to my hamburg rooster and was just doing a little brain picking to see if anyone has tried it. The general idea is to make a good egg producing free range bird that has the natural ability to be more predator resistant. Just want everyone's 2 cents

Has anyone made the cross using a hamburg rooster over white leg horn hens? If so what was the out come. I've got a dozen or so leg horn hens I'm about to breed to my hamburg rooster and was just doing a little brain picking to see if anyone has tried it. The general idea is to make a good egg producing free range bird that has the natural ability to be more predator resistant. Just want everyone's 2 cents

I have made many crosses to Production type white leghorns to boost egg laying traits, and ALL of them hatch as yellow chicks and turn to be completely white(some will have black flecks here and there) and thats not about to change on your cross.. why? white leghorns carry the most dominant genes you can find on birds, like Extended black or Birchen, Silver, Dominant white, sexlinked Barring, sex linked Id Dermal inhibitor..

They will be most likely be productive and good on the range but a white bird can be seen a mile away by any predator so they better be jumpy. If you have a gold Hamburg male that help. All the female chicks will be sex linked gold and blend into their soundings better.

Back
Top Bottom