Silver Spangled Spitzhauben/Appenzeller- Lancaster Fancy Fowl

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hilrum, Feb 5, 2017.

1. hilrum

hilrum New Egg

Jan 14, 2017
    Fresno, CA
    Looking to order a few chicks with Lancaster Fancy Fowl.... I wanted some rare birds and reading through there site they seem to be very professional and have a concern for taking good care of their birds. First, has anyone ordered from them? I know I am paying more but if I get good quality birds than I don't mind. Second interested in the Silver Spangled- I have researched them and it looks like they would do well with my free range set up BUT they don't handle heat very well. Well, in Fresno Ca the summers can be pretty hot.... will they be ok? I set up misters last year but most of my chickens just dug in the dirt under bushes until the heat of the day passed. Like I said, I let them free range on 1.26 acres with tons of trees and shade then lock them in the coop at night for safety. Let me know your thoughts on both. Thanks!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, hilrum, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! I haven't heard of that outfit but you might try typing that name into the BYC search box - if that hatchery has ever been mentioned on BYC, that's the fastest way to find it and what people think of it. You can also did into this forum in the link below as well as post there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Greetings and welcome to BYC.

I am an NPIP breeder. I have silver spangled Appletinis ( way easier to type than their full name).

They are sweet little birds and very cold tolerant. The eggs are about the size of a polish egg even though they are a smaller bird.

They are not overly friendly or overly flighty. I like them, they eat very little however, mine have just started laying for the year. I cannot not fairly comment on the number of eggs. I do know they are a late maturing breed.

The smaller crest makes them a better bird for free ranging than many crested birds.

I live in Minnesota so heat is not really something I can comment on.

Welcome again to BYC!!!

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the coop! I am so glad you decided to join the flock and I hope you'll make yourself at home here! :frow

~Cuz

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under hilrum [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, while I do have experience with the heat, I have none with Silver Spangled Spitzhauben/Appenzeller. Also, living in Aus, no experience with Lancaster Fancy Fowl either.

But I did just want to add add that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would advise you to check out the link Redsoxs provided before ordering from Lancaster Fancy Fowl.

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by