1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Wheaten

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WildernessLofts, Apr 16, 2012.

1. WildernessLofts

WildernessLofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    North Topeka, KS
    I recently purchased some silver wheaten OEGB chicks for a little project I plan to start working on. Does anyone have some pictures of GOOD silver wheaten roos, hens and *maybe* some feathered chicks? Breed doesn't matter; I just need some photos to compare my chicks to in order to have a better idea/understanding of which ones to keep. The chicks seem to have a lot of variation in colour/pattern, so I'm not really sure which ones are "correct" for silver wheaten. Searching on Google hasn't yielded any results that I feel are good enough to base my decisions on.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    To the best of my knowledge Silver Wheaten is not an established variety in any breed. The variety is not listed in either the APA or ABA Standards. Therefore there is, at this point, no guide to judge them by.

3. WildernessLofts

WildernessLofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    North Topeka, KS
    Right. I know it's not a standardized variety, but surely someone has some idea of what they are supposed to look like. I'm guessing they are supposed to look the same as wheaten, but white where reds would be, BUT I have a lot of pullets that look like light brahmas in colour. Not sure if they are a throwback, or that the silver wheaten variety is supposed to have that much white. I'll try to get some pics to show some of the variations in the ones I have. They won't be very good, though. My real camera broke down and I've just got my cell phone one to use now.

4. boss400

boss400 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    Lower Alabama
    look on the Ideal poultry web site under bantams Old EnglishGame Bantams they have the color they should be in there i think the cocks are considered same as a silver duck wing the pullets are colored different

5. Poultriary

Poultriary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    I see this is a bit stale and i'm not sure the original poster is still interested since it's been 3 years or so, but I have come to understand that there IS a Silver Wheaten that is standard, albeit with the addition of the Mahogany gene modifier.

Salmon as in Salmon Faverolle is Silver Wheaten, with the Wheaten coloration and the wing bay of the males darkened by the Mahogany gene, Mh.

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Salmon Faverolles are Genetically Silver Wheaten...

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    this is correct..

as such one could use the salmon faverolle chicks as guide

8. Poultriary

Sep 1, 2010
    So, on the subject of Silver Wheaten experiments, I'd been offered a Sliver Duckwing American Game Bantam. So I'm staking out the post office, waiting for him to arrive when the Express Mail runner backs his truck up and pulls out a 16" x 16" economy box. I'm thinking "why would he send one bird in that?"

Well, you've probably guessed that the sender decided to send a bonus bird and clean out his surplus cockerels. I would have appreciated it more if he'd just given me a little warning.

So now I have 2 silver duckwings cockerels and only one dun/fawn pullet with witch to breed them.

But as it so happens, I have this mystery wheaten hen that weighs about 28 ounces and has the appearance of being a game fowl. She came as a jungle fowl egg, but hatched out yellow from the tip of her beat to the tip of her toes. I have a theory that she could be an Aseel x Jungle Fowl cross, as those are the only two "breeds" the seller claims to have and pullet has green legs (the jungle fowl have slate).

But, as long as I have her, and she is the right size and somewhat the right conformation, I have decided to let her keep company with the other SDW AGB and to see what I get. Other than the green legs, she would seem to make a decent American Game Bantam. If it works, my Bantam Standard says I can just show the males as Silver Duckwings (something I could actually show as a standard AGB variety).

So, this takes me to my current question. Since my original experiment was supposed to be Fawn Silver Duckwing in American Game Bantams, can I cross back the offspring and merge them into one breeding programs and get some decent Fawn Silver Duckwings and Silver Duckwings on the male side?

And what would we be looking at on the female side? I'm imagining something looking similar to a blue wheaten.

Is this doable or am I introducing too many variables?

Thanks,

D

9. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    There should be silver wheaten japanese bantam in the standard.

10. Poultriary

Sep 1, 2010
    There must be something because the color is described in the Bantam Standard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by