Silver Wyandotte

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Just2chicks, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Just2chicks

Just2chicks New Egg

Feb 6, 2014
    I have a silver Wyandotte that is not acting right. The last few months, her eggs had brown specs in them. About a month ago, she started laying eggs with no shells. We immediately added crushed oyster shells to her food and her eggs had a thin shell but were also deformed with a pink jelly inside. Now, we haven't seen an egg in a few days. We took her to a vet who recommended we give her liquid calcium supplements so we are. She just sits around, though, and she is such a sweet little hen. We don't want to loose her. I recently read a book where someone's hen died of reproductive issues. Anybody have a similar experience or have advice? We have two hens and they have a coop but we let them free roam the yard most of the time.

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    I'm sorry to say that I don't have any advice for you (because I've never experienced what you're describing), but I just wanted to tell you that yes, hens frequently do die of reproductive issues. They have been selectively bred for a long time to produce eggs pretty much nonstop, it's understandable that things can easily go awry in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by