SilverLaced Wyandotte or Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by idahochicka, Nov 13, 2012.

1. idahochicka

idahochicka Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2012
    Boise Idaho
    I just recently caught the chicken bug [​IMG] I was told that the bottom 2 in the photo are Silver Laced Wyandottes and the top 2 are Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks however the older they get the more the look the same to me. Can anyone tell me the correct breed? They are very well mannered birds and when I get more I would like to get the same breed.

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The bottom two are silver laced wyandotte hens.
    The top two could be silver pencilled rocks, but they may also be mixed. Their pencilling pattern isn't very crisp and nice, usually silver pencilled birds are so striking! Do a search and see what the quality hens look like.

If you're just wanting more good layers, docile, both wyandottes and rocks are a good way to go.

3. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Yes, Silver laced Wyandotte hens are on the bottom... But the top two are not pencilled, they are like a Birchen color or like Silver Marans, the color is Identicle They could be very well be mixs. But some of the "Mutts" can be the prettiest!
    It being Rocks? IDK, But they have great type.. compared to the wyandottes..

4. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Oh, and [​IMG]

5. idahochicka

idahochicka Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2012
    Boise Idaho
    Thank you for responding. I am already addicted to the site.

I love the temperament of top two. They are VERY sweet and follow me like a puppy around my yard, even eating out of the kids hands. The Wyandottes are a little hyper lol I also have 2 White Leghorns and 3 white Silkies. They really all compliment one another but the one in the top 2 photos are by far my favorites, just wish I knew what breed they where

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I would say they are Wyandottes! and [​IMG]

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the top 2 look like they maybe mixed while the bottom 2 are wyandottes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by