Silvers?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Poultrybonkers, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I heard you shouldnt breed silvers together because of the creeper gene? Is that true if so what do you breed them to get more?

2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    This is just what I have picked up on this forum (we don't have silvers in my country) but silver x silver produces a fatal gene which means a lot of the eggs won't develop. Some will though and all will be silver. People tend to cross them with the pharaoh colour as that is the underlying pattern of the silvers (I think - someone can correct me if I'm wrong). This will give you a 50/50 split for silver and pharaoh coloured offspring. If you cross with the Tibetan colour you will get the odd 'charcoal' coloured offspring. I'm pretty sure you can have silver tuxedos which would be the result of crossing them with white birds. Good luck with your breeding.

3. Karmuls Farm

Karmuls Farm New Egg

Jan 28, 2016
    Lake County, IL
    Everything JaeG said is correct. I have bred a male silver with Tibetans, Pharaohs, and A&M's. Haven't tried breeding silver to silver but have read about the lethal gene. With my crossing breeding experiments ended up with a mix of the hen's genes, some a mix of both, and some pure silver. There is a guy on Ebay out of Franklin, TN that sells silver and pastel eggs for a reasonable price and packs the eggs very well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by