1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Similar coloring to a Barred Rock, but feathered legs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kimberlina, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Kimberlina

Kimberlina In the Brooder

May 30, 2008
    First, I'm sorry there is no picture. I didn't think to snap one of the rooster we just inherited from my sister (who inherited it from some complete stranger a month or so ago- but is is a nice healthy bird.) I had to drive two hours to get him to his new coop, which is about 7 miles away from my home and it is SUPER cold here tonight, so I'm not going back out now. (Long story short is that I co-own a flock on my friend's farm.)

Anyway, when I spoke to my sister about him, she described him as black and white, and I though he might possibly be a Barred Rock or something similar looking like a Dominique. He does have a similar pattern and coloring (much more black than white.) However, when I got him into the coop tonight, I noticed that he has feathers on his legs. And he is enormous. He is about 4 weeks older than our hens, but he is at least twice their size. The rooster that we he until a predator got him was no where near the size of this guy.

Any thoughts, despite the lack of a photo, on what he might possibly be?

2. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Could be a Barred Rock Standard Cochin is he just a huge ball of feathers if he is he could be a one.

3. mikarod

mikarod Songster

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Barred Langshan? (UBER rare...but possibility?)

4. chickenmum

chickenmum Songster

Dec 7, 2008
    Could it be a barred Cochin? Is it big and poofy?

5. Kimberlina

May 30, 2008
    Thanks so much for the replies.

I think the pictures I have found of the barred standard cochin are the closest to him so far, though I am not sure he is as poofy as the pictures I have seen.

I will try to get a picture of him soon, and in the meantime, if anyone else has any other ideas, please let me know.

Thanks!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

He might be a cuckoo Marans. Some of them have feathered legs and mine are all very large roosters.

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Does he look anything like this?

[​IMG]

8. Kimberlina

May 30, 2008
    I think the cuckoo maran is also a good possibility. The maran was the second bird I thought of when I was on the phone with my sister. I just didn't realize that they had feathers on their legs sometimes, but I just read that on the Henderson breed chart and went off looking for more info. Definitely a possibilty, which would be great, because we wanted maran hens, so we could hatch out our own eggs in early 2010 if we can get the hens next spring....

He doesn't have any feathers on his feet, and I don't remember him being too poofy. I didn't get a really good look at him because I only saw him for a few minutes, in the freezing cold, while he was running around in his new home checking things out. I have to go up tomorrow and get more food for our injured Ameraucana (or EE, whatever she might be) so I will get a better look then....

9. Kimberlina

May 30, 2008
    He is darker than the bird in the picture and his feet (IIRC) don't have feathers, just his legs.

10. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Now thats a whole nother can of worms if he don't have feathers on his feet [​IMG] Now i just [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: