Simple 3 chicken coop

[E]thernet

Chirping
Jun 11, 2018
Melbourne, Australia.
I need a chicken coop that I can DIY in a weekend, and can hold 3 chickens. I have a decent backyard, but it is taken up by trees and other stuff I can't move. I have been very interested in making a coop based on the Trictles Chicken Coop I read about here. Anyone have a simple plan I can follow along? I am using metric measurements.

I actually really love this design.

Chicken-Coop-with-Run-Underneath.png

Looks really nice and will fit my backyard well. Thoughts?

Too small, roost probably too low, vent has no protection from rain, very difficult to clean with small short doors, probably has too many nest boxes and the lid will leak water at the hinge, ramp dead ends at the wall! Like most designs you find on the net they are worthless but cute.

Search for "hoop coop".

JT

Too small, roost probably too low, vent has no protection from rain, very difficult to clean with small short doors, probably has too many nest boxes and the lid will leak water at the hinge, ramp dead ends at the wall! Like most designs you find on the net they are worthless but cute.

Search for "hoop coop".

JT

Really now? The only thing I find that might need looking into is the vent you are talking about, but other than that everything looks fine..... and that's a pretty high chicken coop ceiling there so I don't see how you came to the conclusion that it's a low roosting perch. And those doors are wide enough to land a jumbo jet in so I don't see where it'll be a problem when it comes to cleaning. For a 3 chicken coop, that's a nice little mansion, I would say. Only thing I would do is lengthen the run a bit if you have the room. I would say go for it, just make sure to change the vent design which shouldn't be hard, you can purchase vents at your local hardware store that is rain protected.

I actually really love this design.

Chicken-Coop-with-Run-Underneath.png

Looks really nice and will fit my backyard well. Thoughts?
It’s cute, have the vent facing into the run so rain won’t soak your birds and their bedding. You could do a community nest box without a divider. Build the roost bar above the nest box but make sure they have enough landing room and head room. Oh and roost bar away from nest box because they poop as they sleep and poop will fall on your next box.

Back
Top Bottom