Simple Abundance

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by synoviaus, Nov 18, 2009.

1. synoviaus

synoviaus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Blountsville, ALabama
    This is my latest art project. It's called "Simple Abundance". I can do all types of art. This is called rug hooking. You take a hook and pull 100 % wool threads through burlap to create rugs. In olden times ladies of the genteel would do these rugs by shreading up their old wool clothes to make the threads. I designed this rug myself. All the drawings and colors are my own. It is based on my memories of my Grandmother "Mama M". I really wanted to make anyone seeing this rug appreciate the simple things of life. I did this in remembrance of my childhood. It's all about having a lot despite not having a lot of money, and passing down those values. I hope you enjoy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a closer look at my "Dominicker" as Mama M called them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. synoviaus

Apr 30, 2009
    Blountsville, ALabama
    Here's updated pictures of my rug. It's almost complete. I will finish it soon. Amy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Haleth

Haleth Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Southern California
    Wow, that is absolutely amazing work! You've a lot of talent. I love the way you've blended the colors.

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    That is so pretty. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  5. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    My grandmother passed on a rug she was working on to me, I've got it in a bag and would love to finish it!! I know ZERO about hooking, what I'd need, how to do it and where to find the stuff for it! I should PM you and maybe you can give me a push in the right direction!
    You did an Amazing Job, the colors and detail are Beautiful!!! I only hope I'm able to one day complete hers, she's 100yrs old and still going strong so maybe I can get it done while she could still enjoy seeing it completed!

6. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    [​IMG]..that is beautiful!!!..What a great job you have done; you have captured everything you wanted to..the way I see it. Paints a beautiful picture of your grandmother!!

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Stunning.

8. misty4774

misty4774 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    You blessed with a wonderful talent and your work is beautiful.

9. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    This reminds me of my childhood and my Granny (for more on her see:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=267529&p=2

If you ever decide to sell this, would you please let me know. I doubt I have enough money in any bank to buy such a beautiful peace of art, but all I can say is God has given you Such a wonderful gift! Or enough rare eggs for the rest of the year to swap for such a treasure....

Thanks for sharing this and have a blessed day.

10. synoviaus

Apr 30, 2009
    Blountsville, ALabama
    Thanks so much for the kind words. I have really enjoyed doing it. My next piece will be "Daniel in the Lion's Den". I already have my ideas and have compiled different images. It will be approximately the same size as this rug. My co-hookers have forbidden me to work on it until this rug is completed. They say the suspense is killing them to see this rug done. I'll remember you if I ever decide to sell it, but I have no plans to sell it. It means alot to me. Every time I see it; I see my Mama M milking her cows and feeding her chickens. Amy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by