simple and cheap am/fm transister radio

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by moparmatthew, Jul 17, 2010.

1. moparmatthew

moparmatthew Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Eagle Bridge
    I took the advise of a friend of mine to put a radio on a talk show Chanel in the coop because we live in gods country and predictors were my biggest fear in getting chickens.So far knock on wood we haven't had any problems and we see fox, raccoon,possums,ect,ect out in the woods and on the road close to our home. My friend told me it wont work so good for owls,hawks and other flying predictors but hes never had any problems with ground based attacks. I hope this helps and if it doesn't Id like to hear from yah so I can know what got in yer coop and if we need to change stratiges. Oh buy rechargeable batteries and play it loud the chickens seem to ignore it and sleep right through till morning. THANKS MATT [​IMG] [​IMG] ps hope to hear any comments please

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Interesting concept Matt. Be interested to hear if it actually works!!
    Hope you don't have close neighbours or the 2 legged predators might be getting in and killing the radio [​IMG]

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Didn't work for owls for us. We keep a radio playing in the tool shed and a barn owl has made a nest in the attic of the adjoining shed a couple of times. Who knows, maybe barn owls like country music...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Do NOT play Rap Music

Your chickens will start Break Dancing, and will lay scrambled eggs

5. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Quote:And then they'll be wanting all those weird hairdo's, gold chains, piercings and crazy clothes.....there's just no end to that!

6. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I can just see it now.... chicken with bling aka gold beak like those rappers with the gold teeth LOL!

8. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhh be careful; don't say 'grill' around a chicken....

9. moparmatthew

moparmatthew Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Eagle Bridge
    ROFL!!!! [​IMG] thaz funny stuff scrambled eggs, oh god nope doesnt work for owls, hawks or anything else that flys but i keep mine on talk shows, on the am channels , human voices keep the 4 legged animals at a distance,dunno about music depends on there taste I guess [​IMG] Oh and its not a hundred watt boombox just a small transistor radio,doest cary to far. great hearing from yas, hope to hear more from yall thanks matt

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I've tried the radio too one year when I was having trouble with deer getting into the sweet corn patch. The way I was taught was to hang my daily sweaty T-shirt everyday in the middle of the corn patch on a pole with the radio tuned to "talk" radio. Worked that year till a thunder storm damaged the radio.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by