Simple chick feeder

plantoneonme

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 12, 2011
Ok so I am very new to chickens...like 3 1/2 weeks or so, and I am amazed at how fast they grow! My 6 chicks were getting a little crowded in my 50 gal tote box and I wanted to give them a little more room. The feeder was taking up most of the space so I figured out a simple, no tools necessary way to make a chick feeder. I purchased a 2 ft length of 1 1/2 in pvc pipe, a 90 degree spout angle (one end can be pushed into another), a 45 degree angle and a cap. I simply pushed all the pieces together, filled it up and put on the cap. I ducted taped it inside the tote box and watched the chicks begin to eat (had to sprinkle some crumbles around the base until one smart chick finally decided to try eating from inside the opening lol). My little feeder will be converted to a grit or oyster shell feeder when they finally move outside. I freed up quite a bit of space for the chicks to scratch around.

Now to figure out how to get the chicks to drink from a nipple stuck into a soda bottle...

Kim

thumbsup.gif
good idea

a soda bottle?

I like your setup. Mine is very similar excpet I used 3" PVC so I would not need to fill it as often. It saves space and saves me time so I do not have to fill it every morning. Do you have a pic, I'm curious what yours looks like. I'll show you mine if you want. It converts from 3" down to 1.5 to fill into a little trough on the side of the coop.

Quote:
I like the idea of the trough. I will post a pic as soon as I get my taxes back and a new computer...this one is on its last leg and is about as fast as the old dial up 9600
sad.png
But can I still see the picture now
wink.png
pretty please. Kim

Back
Top Bottom