1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Simple & Delicious: Big's Scalloped Potatoes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Apr 30, 2009.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Easy and devastatingly good with pork loin, roasted chicken or a good beef roast. Make it and bake it...

Mis en place
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    10 oz milk or half and half
    2 Tbls. butter
    1 Tbls. chopped garlic
    2 cups grated cheddar or jack cheese
    1/2 yellow onion THIN sliced
    3-4 large russet potatoes, peeled and THIN sliced

garlic salt, fresh cracked black pepper and herbs de provance

Gently saute garlic and herbs de provance in the 2 TBLS. butter, after 1 minute add cream of mushroom soup and milk (preferably half and half for the rich flavor) and combine well, reduce heat to a very low simmer and warm for 5 minutes - allowing garlic and herb flavors to infuse into soup.

Slice VERY VERY thinly the peeled potatoes and onions. Generously butter (not PAM) a casserole dish. Add a 1 inch layer of the potatoes, then garnish with the thinly sliced onions. Season with garlic salt, fresh cracked pepper and then sprinkle on the grated cheddar. Repeat process until potatoes almost come to the top of the casserole dish. Now PRESS DOWN on potatoes. Then add soup mixture to casserole dish and with a large spoon gently pry up edges of the potatoes so the soup works itself down into the casserole. Cover with foil or matching lid and bake in 450 degree oven for 1 hour. Remove cover and bake an additional 40 minutes until top is a golden brown. Your kitchen will smell heavenly.

Easy and a great pairing to the above mentioned meat groups...

Big

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ooh, Mike! This is very similar to my scalloped potato recipe and it's soooo good! I bake mine until it's very well done, too, and everyone fights over the crusty edges! Yum!!! My recipe doesn't call for garlic, so next time I make it I'm going to put some in. . .

3. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Big Mike, I just finished dinner and I'm still drooling over this pic! Can't wait to try these! My mom's were always watery so I never liked them![​IMG] Thanks for the recipe.[​IMG]

4. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    that looks good..but what is that all over the wall behind it??

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]k on the potatoes

[​IMG] of the splatter on the walls.

6. bigmike&nan

I removed the offending photo. Thank God I have others.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

8. bigmike&nan

Quote:Here's a couple of pizzas on the very same old stove. Notice how close the burner is to the wall, you could use one of those real tough wire scrubbers and bleach and clean it, but by the time you produced a multi course meal it was funky like that again... My whole apartment was as small as my current kitchen is now, no kidding. LOL...

[​IMG]

9. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    i had one of those at one time too, i feel your pain! [​IMG]

10. bigmike&nan

Quote:See that skillet on the right ?? One day before work I washed it and as was my custom put it on the back burner over high heat to dry. Well I FORGOT ABOUT IT and went to work my 2nd shift schedule that day. When I got home about 1 AM the apartment seemed especially stuffy... I took one look at that stove top in the dim light and realized THAT PAN was orange from the heat that had blasted it all those 9 or so hours !!! I turned the burner off with an oven mitt, opened all the windows and went outside to say a bunch of Hail Mary's glad I hadn't burned that curmmy little apartment down.

No kidding, true story !!!

Michael

Last edited: May 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by