Simple DIY waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PinkFlamingoFrm, Aug 1, 2013.

1. PinkFlamingoFrm

PinkFlamingoFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    My fiance is very DIY and he was really mad that chicken waterers were so expensive.. and with having waterfowl we cant only use chicken nipples so he tried about 10 different plans he found on here to make one and every single idea failed (i think he spent more trying to make one, than to just buy one lol)

I guess he got tired of looking, so he started experimenting on his own, and amazingly it worked.. lol and cost us a whopping $3!
    He took a big pan thing from the hardware store..(it looks like one of those plates with the edges that you put under potted plants) and a 5 gallon bucket with a lid..he took the handle off..drilled a hole up near the lid..filled it with water, put the lid on and flipped it over, and sat in the pan. Somehow the water pressure doesnt let it over flow the pan and it works perfect.
    Ill take pictures tomorrow and add them, but wanted to share for anyone else going through the same frustration of trying to build waterers.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    That works on the exact same theory as a double walled galvanized waterer. When the water falls and the hole becomes uncovered air enters the container and lets water out.

3. PinkFlamingoFrm

PinkFlamingoFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    yep, thats how he got the idea..studying one of our waterers.. I would have never figured it out lol.. guess im not mechanically inclined. Id rather pay $3 for these, than the $25+ on the store bought waterers.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by