Simple Duck housing in winter? Do you have pics?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wyo Chick, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Do ducks like simple on the ground housing in the winter? I was thinking of converting the bottom part of my rabbit hutch into housing. They don't seem to like to stay in the chicken house.

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I have a chicken coop with their grain in it. In the winter, I leave their water outside in a rubbermaid tub (to keep the mess out of the coop) and I just break the ice a few times a day. I leave the coop open so they can go in and out as they please. They do stay out at night and seem to want to stay out when it's snowing. As long as you have shelter for them if they want it, then I wouldn't worry about them. A coop is just fine, they will use it if they want to! A hutch won't be any different, they just like to be outside!

3. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    My ducks wouldnt go into my chicken coop over winter (i think the rooster was kicking them out)

so i just make a house out of straw bails, laid some wood around/on top of it and wrapped it with tarp

They seemed fine with that to get them through the hard times

Most nights they just stayed out in the cold anyway though..

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    A converted rabbit hutch should be fine. some of mine are as simple as three walls and a slanted roof. It is a dry place out of the wind, but they don't really chose to use it a whole lot, except to lay eggs in way at the back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by