Simple feeding Question..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wild Hair, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Wild Hair

Wild Hair Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2016
    Kansas
    My 13 runners turned 8 weeks old yesterday and I'm buying them some 16% finisher pellets today (looking into Country Lane All Flock). My question is, at what age do you experienced ducks add a ration of oyster shells? Do you wait for them to start laying or just before? I realize this isn't a dire question but I live a while from a feed store so I'd like to make minimal trips. I've been feeding them an 18% starter crumble if that makes a difference.

P.S. I have a pair of geese that are a week younger than our ducks. It shouldn't hurt them to move them onto a flock raiser before 8 weeks of age, right?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

No they will all be fine.
    My ducks never like the pellets so I buy a layer mash that is good for Chickens.
    It is grain based.
    Wait till your first egg and start the oyster shell.

3. Wild Hair

Mar 30, 2016
    Kansas
    Thanks for the speedy response. I've got one Drake in the mix. Will he be fine on a layer feed?

4. chickens really

Yes, he will be fine...Roosters also can eat layer food.
    An all poultry mix works great too. I add oyster shell and a few hand fulls of dry cat food every other day for added protein for Ducks.

5. chickens really

I must add...Oyster shell in a separate bowl.

6. Wild Hair

Mar 30, 2016
    Kansas
    I picked up a bag of Nutrena Nature Wise Layer Crumbles. Is brewer's yeast still necessary? I plan on finishing the jug I have either way.

7. chickens really

I never use brewers yeast.
    Mine forage daily. I also feed lots of fruits, veggies and Grains. Plus the layer mash. I buy the feed but they really don't like it.
    I have a deep bowl that is clean water for some of the dishes I prepare for them. They love shredded wheat cereal cakes with raisins..
    Ducks need grains,forage, veggies, protein. Everyday I feed a good mix of all the things they need.
    No problem using up what you have left...If they seem healthy then they are getting what they need.

1 person likes this.
  8. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    If a large portion of their diet is a starter feed then having Brewers yeast on hand is a good idea. You may not need to add any, but if you start to see signs of niacin deficiency you can start to add it right away.

If your ducks live mainly on forage, it's not necessary, but not everyone has the option to free range or even provide an expansive duck yard.

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Storey's Guide recommends starting with free choice oyster shell on the side about a month before they start to lay. And in our flock, the ducks started playing hop on top about a month before the first egg was laid.

1 person likes this.
  10. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop

I guess that's one way to say it! Haha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by