Simple Food Question!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by duckyduck, May 11, 2011.

1. duckyduck

duckyduck Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Hey everybody,

Is it ok for my 1 day old duckling to eat medicated Nutrena Naturewise chick starter??

I think it only has amprolium? correct me if i'm wrong and whether or not they can eat it please.

Thanks!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Most people say not to feed medicated chick started to water fowl.

3. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    From what I have seen, people say the medicated feed will kill the ducks.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  5. Lytlechick

Lytlechick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Rome
    no med feed for waterfowl

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Amprolium is safe for waterfowl. If the feed is medicated with anything else- then NO it is not safe for feeding to waterfowl.

Adding Niacin can be beneficial to some of the faster growing breeds - but if they are getting a balanced diet- it is not generally required. After a few days- introducing some greens to the diet- or going outside on the grass where they can forage- or eat a few insects will negate the need to add niacin in most cases.

7. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Commercially available poultry starter feeds that include amprolium as the medication are not at all harmful to young waterfowl. Once upon a long time ago there were anticoccidiatats included in landfowl starter feeds that were toxic to ducks. those are no longer used!

Do your own research of scientific sources and do not rely on the "they say" and the "I heard" experets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by