Simple homemade candler

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jaybr, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Jaybr

Jaybr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Matoaca, VA
    I've got my first batch of eggs in the bator and tried my first candling with a flashlight cupping my hand around the light and eggs. It worked ok but all I could really see was a blob in the eggs, so I decided I needed something better.

I have a streamlight scorpion flashlight thats small and puts out good light, I'm sure there are plenty of other flashlight options that will work fine. I cut about a 2" piece of bicycle innertube and slid it over the end of the light. I just set the light on top of the egg and the rubber innertube seals against the egg and really lights it up. Took less than 5 minutes to make and innertubes are only a couple bucks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. playingchicken

playingchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Thanks for the tip. I may try something similar with my Maglite.
    [​IMG]

3. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    i must add an l.e.d light is best for this kinda thing ive found becuase less temp. increase means less harm while candleing i have literally seen people candle and burn of course they were idiots and candled 10 times a day i think but for me l.e.d seems to work best and on this lil idea it works work great im sure and less batteries thansk for the hint.

4. Jaybr

Jaybr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Matoaca, VA
    Quote:Yes, The bulb died in the flashlight in the pic so I bought a new LED light instead of replacing bulb. The new LEDs are very bright and easier on batteries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by