Simple incubator for hatching quail eggs?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by vjbakke, Dec 16, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
  2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Many quail are hatched in Little Giant and Hovabator incubators, they work just fine just be sure to set it up a couple days in advance to be sure you have the right humidity and temp for the eggs.

If you want to make is easier you could even throw an automatic egg turner in there so you dont have to manually turn the eggs.

3. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:X2 but, also buy the fan that is available for that model...still air incubators have tendency to have warmer or cooler spots, a forced air will equalize your temps and have increased hatch rate.

Good luck!

4. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Thanks, i know see that it is better to have a fan in it.

5. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah you can buy any computer fan and modify it but places like Incubator Warehouse sell fans for them, most of the time they are cheaper than the ones that people try to modify.

www.incubatorwarehouse.com has ALOT of things for incubators, I have placed two orders with them now and I am very happy with the stuff I have bought from them.

6. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Brinsea's having a pretty good sale with another 10% Facebook discount.

7. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Quote:I WOULD GET ONE WITH A FAN INSTEAD OF THE STILL AIR.

8. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    this is the one i have

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=274

it is a still air, but forced air is so much better, so you see those 4 holes in the center of the lid....well...they JUST SO HAPPEN to be the same size of the 80mm fans in pcs, pop one of them bad boys out, wire it up to ac/dc converter at about 9-12v, i just put screws right thru the holes on the lid and screwed them into the holes of the pc fan, i would take a pic, but bator currently working.

you can save about 30 bucks making it forced air

but both hova-bator and little giant are good bators and can each hold up to 120 eggs at once

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Lg Incubators Are Topped Only By The Us Mail And Those Lil Yellow Plastic And Clear Dome Shaped Junky Ones They Sell To Kids In Gamebird Death Statistics

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Also For The Record... You'll Spend More Money On The Lg And A Turner Than You Would For The Best Model Available Which Is The Brinsea Octagon 20

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by