1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Simple Kiddy Pool Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mcrooke45, Feb 12, 2014.

1. mcrooke45

mcrooke45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    New Market, TN
    Here is an idea I had this fall for my chicks. It is a simple and easy idea for a brooder. I just took a kiddy pool and wrapped some small wire around it real tight. I secure it with some wire. I used a hiking stick across the top but you could use PVC or a stick to brace it and secure it with wire or string. I used some screw hooks in the top of my plastic water and food containers to attach a wire and hang down from the hiking stick. I placed a large piece of cardboard over the top and placed a light in it and you have a simple brooder. I am going to make several more of these to put more chicks in this spring but I am going to use PVC pipe and brace the wire from the center of the pool from the bottom and make like a stand. I will post pics of it when I get it completed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I would also make a door through the side of the wire down low enough to open and reach in for the food and water dishes, it seems it may be a pain in the neck to take that all off every time to feed and water the chicks.

3. mcrooke45

mcrooke45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    New Market, TN
    I don't. I simply pull the water and food up by the wire and fill them up. I have an O ring on the wire that just slides on and off the screw hooks on each of the waterer and food despencer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by