Simple Laying Question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wolftalk, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    Okay, so i have 3 little bantie chickens. They are really just pets, but they are almost 5 months old. I only have 1 hen. I was wondering if she will lay anytime soon. Should i put golfballs in the nesting boxes? Becuase i only have one hen, i have them on just regular scratch. No layrina or anything. Will that make a big diffrence in when she lays?

Any Info Helps!!!! Thanks!

2. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Your hen may wait untill spring to lay any eggs. Your chickens should really be eating something more nurishing then just scratch. I would put them on layer pellets, but then again I don't have any roos, so I'm not quite sure if layer pellets are all right for him to eat. (Though I imagine its fine). When your hen is getting ready to lay her comb will be a bright red, she will squat when you pet her, and you may notice her making nest. If you want her to lay in the nesting boxes putting guld balls in there will be just fine.
    -Good luck!

-Edited for typos

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  3. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    Quote:Thank you so much! I will probobly put them on the layer stuff then, and i will put golf balls in the nesting boxes. And i have noticed that her comb (which was completely grey 3 weeks ago) is now turning reder now that you mention it! I love BYC!!!! I Learn somuch!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah, unless your scratch is the homemade, balanced kind, I'd get either layer feed or something like Flock Raiser (roosters can eat either too). Most commercial scratches only have about 8 or 9% protein (a primary component in egg production) rather than the 16-20% protein of formulated feeds. Check the nutrients label on your bag.

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Yep, something more than just scratch..if you can't afford the laying mash or pellets..lots of table scraps. Left over veggies..oatmeal, cooked or not, even spaghetti or mac and cheese, those need to be cooked.. eggs that are cooked are great for them. I actually buy spinach in the winter to give to them every now and again so they have their greens.
    At first I thought you said that your baties were ~ pests! I was going to get on and tell you, nooo, they can lay pretty good. Just the right sized egg for my piece of toast in the morning from my bantam cochins. [​IMG]
    I use golf balls to get them started also. I have a Partridge Rock that is real close to laying. She has the red comb, she is checking out the nest boxes, and she has already laid a real soft egg shelled egg. Haven't seen anything since..but she is also making more noise than usual when in the coop area where the nest boxes are. Good luck! My bantam is laying very often..at least 5 a week.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  6. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    Quote:Yep, something more than just scratch..if you can't afford the laying mash or pellets..lots of table scraps. Left over veggies..oatmeal, cooked or not, even spaghetti or mac and cheese, those need to be cooked.. eggs that are cooked are great for them. I actually buy spinach in the winter to give to them every now and again so they have their greens.
    At first I thought you said that your baties were ~ pests! I was going to get on and tell you, nooo, they can lay pretty good. Just the right sized egg for my piece of toast in the morning from my bantam cochins. [​IMG]
    I use golf balls to get them started also. I have a Partridge Rock that is real close to laying. She has the red comb, she is checking out the nest boxes, and she has already laid a real soft egg shelled egg. Haven't seen anything since..but she is also making more noise than usual when in the coop area where the nest boxes are. Good luck! My bantam is laying very often..at least 5 a week.

They do get TONS of tablescraps!!!! They are VERY VERY spoild birds!!! Thanks for your Help!!!

7. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

I agree with roxy. Keep in mind this is my opinion based on my limited experience. ALL of your birds should be on something other than scratch. See scratch is basically candy to chickens. It is mainly corn which has very little nutritional value to any animal (or people). I have both Bantam and LF birds and they all get fed the same. Flock raiser pellets, grit and oyster shell. All of this is given free choice.
    Your pullet could start laying anytime but may wait until spring.
    Also it is not real clear but looks like you may have 2 cockerels with the one pullet. be careful that she doesn't get too run down with the 2 boys.
    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by