simple lice remedy? flour?

Littlecimarron18

Songster
12 Years
Jan 3, 2008
Colorado
Soooooooooo... my chickens have managed to get lice. YUCK. but i tried to use poultry protector, didnt work. I also tried garden and pet dust, that also didnt work. my customers prefer that i use all natural or organic things. I am ordering DE but i need something untill then. My great grandma used to use flour? i dont know what this does or if any of you have heard of using it but i need something soon.

I don't know about the flour, but I use seven dust and it has worked so far for me. You might want to bath them first and then try the sevendust. Goodluck.

DE will take awhile to work.

If your chickens are lice infested you have to do more than treat the chickens. The 'organic' way won't give them relief and won't get rid of the problem quickly. If you don't treat it swiftly it will continue to grow and will get out of hand fast.

Sevin 5% dust is what most poultry people use. Powder them up good getting it all down in their feathers and next to the skin.

Clean out your hen houses, remove all the bedding and empty the nest boxes. Dust the house top to bottom. Replace the bedding and dust that too.

In 7 - 10 days do it again.

In 2 weeks or less you should be completely lice and bug free.

And cover your mouth while using Sevin.
sickbyc.gif

How long does the dust take to work, because i dusted them all about 4 days ago and still no results, ( i know it takes some time but i figured the live ones would have died off by now) they just seem to be multiplying. I cleaned out the ENTIRE hen house as well and i dusted everything. = (

Last edited:
lol ya i have this little mask thing, when i was dusting on monday i had it on and my neighbors little girl came over. HAHA she didnt know what it was, i think it scared her.

You know, the last time we had one of our sick hens in to our avian vet, I asked him about lice. He said that, unless the infestation is VERY BAD, not to worry about it. He said chickens naturally have lice and a certain amount is normal. Just make sure they have somewhere to dust, and use DE if you want. That's all we do unless we have one with a really bad lice problem, then we use DE on them individually or cage bird lice spray works well, also.

my feed store doesnt have sevin brand but the lady said it was basically the same thing. I waited till they all went to sleep and then i went in and dusted all 100 of them one at a time. I sprinkled it everywhere on them and made sure it was under their feathers.

well i think its gotten to a point where its bad. The other chickens see the little bugs and pull out feathers trying to get them. = ( poor chickens. they are all loosing feathers

Back
Top Bottom