Simple pleasures of chicken keeping

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mamajos, Nov 12, 2019.

1. mamajos

mamajos Songster

Jun 2, 2016
    St. Paul, MN
    It takes no time at all to filter out the poop board at 10° F (was 4°F earlier) when the poops are nicely frozen solid. That’s my simple pleasure for the day. (As I stay warm in insulated bibs and jacket).

Cindy in PA and ValerieJ like this.
  2. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome!
    The snow is beautiful, but the chickens don't think so! They don't want to go out in it, so nice and comfy inside again today. And it was a toasty 11F this morning here!
    Mary

Acre4Me and ValerieJ like this.
  3. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! It's nice when it's easy. Freezing just means hauling water for me because my hens will not drink from nipples. My 11 week chicks will, so I'm hoping they will teach the older gals, but I'm not holding my breath. Snow means I have to shovel pathways so they can come out. Ah well....all in a day's work. I love making my chickens happy.

Acre4Me likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    PoopCicles!
    It's great except for any juicy ones freeze to the board.

mamajos likes this.
  5. harmonyp

harmonyp Songster

May 25, 2013
    N. California
    Re: "I love making my chickens happy." -

me too. When I was a kid, my step-mom thought i was a weirdo (in a fun way), as the other kids were playing, I'd be in the backyard turning over rocks and digging in the dirt to find and study bugs.

Now as a long-adult, I dig in the dirt on weekends to get bucket-fulls of worms to distribute to my hens. My simple pleasure!

ValerieJ likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: