Simple PVC Feeder is GREAT!

FloridaHen

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2015
Highlands County,Florida
The other day I was perusing Pintrest and kept seeing these pvc feeders for chickens. I decided to try my luck and make one, omg it was so simple. On the site, most called it a no spill chicken feeder, I just call it a lot easier as I can put several days feed in it with no worries.
I am including the website on here but also a simple 4 pieces of pvc gave me a few days less worry on my chickens if I travel. You all know how reliable teenagers are when it comes to remembering to feed the pets (rolls eyes).

http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/diy-no-spill-chicken-feeder/

I used only some of the pieces, I didn't need them all.

1- 3 foot 3" wide PVC (this was only size my hole in the wall store had)
1- Cap for the top of the PVC pipe.
1-45* angled "Y" joint
1-flat bottomed cap, or you can use a old brick or plant pot base.

All the pieces did not need glue so I had no worries about my babies getting into anything dangerous except each others way. Had this done in less than 5 minutes, strapped it to the fence pole and walked away. I didn't make a permanent strap because I wanted to be able to move it if needed and also to clean it out if the feed ever got rancid or wet.

OH, by the way, I did not hook on the extra 6" piece at the bottom, why have 6 inches of food where the chickens can't reach plus this makes it way too high for the smaller chickens to use...
So far 1 down gonna make 2 more soon.

Brynda
Head Hen of the Beaks and Talons Inn (aka the coop)

Thanks for sharing. Do you think mice or rats will be attracted to this system? That's my only concern. It seems so handy!

Hadn't thought of them being in it, but I live on an open acre so if they want in ,they find a way no matter what. Being this sits a little higher might deter them from the feeder but not any spillage the messy one might do.... But being I have a birdfeeder nearby there hasn't been any visitors inside the coop.
I ran a length of 3 foot high screen around the 10 x 10 coop I have and so far only visitor was a very big lizard who was smart enough to stay high and stare at the chicks...LOL.

Brynda
Head Hen of the Beaks and Talons Inn (aka the coop)

Back
Top Bottom