Simply Terrible

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by wbruder17, Apr 11, 2012.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I absolutely can NOT believe how many crappy designs I have seen for coops. From folks building them, selling them, everything. People really need to do research before building/ buying coops. And shame on the people who build coops with no clue what they are doing... just trying to make a quick buck preying on people who are also clueless about the matter. And this includes people on Craigslist as well as farm stores.

Sorry for the complaining, and thanks for listening. Its just frustrating to me.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    The lack of space really ticks me off. Sellers claim the coop is big enough for 5-6 hens and in reality you couldn't keep two birds in the thing.

3. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Agreed. I also find that design is a major issue as well. No easy access for cleaning, roost bars directly overtop of nest boxes and feeders.... no wonder people lose so many chickens from disease. I've never lost one full grown hen. And only 2 chicks from cat and sickness.

4. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Are coops often too complicated?

I suppose that if you have limited open space or need to keep birds indoors for some other reason, a carefully designed coop is important. However, from my limited experience so far, they need somewhere to roost that's safe and protected from the elements, easy to clean and has somewhere for egg laying. I can't see the need for much more.

Some coops look like gingerbread houses and would have my neighbours laughing for week. Perhaps they are designed to catch the buyer rather than house poultry. If those buyers did some research and thought more abut practicality than looks, then they would buy more suitable coops. The market offers what customers want.

5. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I understand what you are saying, but I am not necessarily referring to the asthetics of the coops, rather the ineffectual nature. No, they don't need much, but design is very important. You can't have a coop that is a pain to clean (which I see most) or that is too small for the amount of hens. I can't even tell you how many coops I see for sale around here that are pieces of crap. And the seller is asking a ton, for a crappy design that will not be good for the hens. Or the owners. I understand people may not have space for a Coop 'de Ville, but practicality is missing from SO many designs I see.

6. thaiturkey

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Sure, I understand what you are saying. I was adding to that the apparent preference of some to go for looks and ignore functionality.

Ready made coops here are as rare as hens teeth and everyone has to make their own. That ensurers practical and inexpensive design because the people building them have to clean them! None are pretty but they all work!

7. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Education is always key in such matters. Best thing anyone can do is post some designs and specifics/contrasts to help others out. :)

8. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    My first coop I didn't know what I was doing. I just knew I was tired of store-bought eggs. I built a nesting box for every single one of my chickens, put some nice bedding in there and then for the life of me couldn't figure out why they didn't sleep in their wonderful nesting boxes.. they just stood on the edges of it. It's also really narrow and hard to clean. But like everything else, a little experience, education and modifications my setup is working pretty good. I actually built a brand new coop after I understood the chicken more but my old coop works good as a warm-up coop before they meet the full-grown flock.

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    That's an excellent idea! I would welcome seeing both the "crappy" and the "wonderful" designs. I am currently planning a build of a new large coop. I've spent so much time studying building techniques to understand how to get started, and it just occurred to me the other day that I hadn't yet given much thought to the internal layout of the coop. I'd love to see ideas of what not to do as well as ideas for what has worked for others with a similar size coop (10x14 that will be a walk-in shed).

10. thaiturkey

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    I now give up on coops. We have two left over from the chicken and turkey days that were offered to the new bantams. They settled on their perches for a few days but tonight are up in one of the trees. No cleaning and no feeding!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by