Since all the quail people are here...

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I decided to post a genetics question in this forum!

monarc23 has told me she thinks I have a double blue faced button hen.
PICT0170.jpg

I have been reading on them, as I have eggs from Tori in the bator right now. I don't think she (Tori) has blue faced, but not 100% certain of this.

My question is, from what I have read, the blue faced gene is dominant? So that means no matter what she (my hen) is bred with, she will have blue faced chicks, correct? It seems like the double blue faced are darker blue, but I'm not sure.

So am I doomed to having blue birds all around me FOREVER?? (
lol.png
)

Last edited:
No you're not doomed LOL! Just get more hens with different colors
smile.png

She's deffinatly a double factored Blue face..promise
smile.png
she's dark dark dark....
smile.png

if you'd like a second oppinon (from breeders who've been breeding for upwards of 30 years) join the yahoo group ButtonquailsUSA add your picture to the gallery and post and ask them to respond.
smile.png
It may take them a bit (they're busy breeders wiht massive opperations) but they will get back to you if you'd like I can copy the pic and post there for you?

Niki
smile.png

p.s. blue faced gene is only dominant when it's double factored, which your hen is by having a white patch.

p.s.s. blue faced hens dont look like blue faces that's probably you're confusion.

another p.s.s.s. LOL this is how challenging button quail colors are "buttonquailboys" pair he got you called them wild coloreds, they're not they're actually a very rare color "golden pearl" Hard to see the difference huh? LOL theres a big one, it took me weeks to be able to ID the difference between them and wilds and now it's so obvious to me before I didnt understand how to tell now it's like OH duh, the hen is lighter the male is lighter.
smile.png

Last edited:
I had seen a pic of a cinnamon blue face, aka rusty nail, before and that's what I thought mine was. But any chicks I get from her will be blue faced right?

P.S.-you can post my pic there if you want. I don't have time to go to yet another bird forum!! I barely get my homework done now!

P.S.S.-- I was referring to the males for the depth of color in the blue. It seems the double blue is a deeper blue on the males.

Last edited:
Quote:
^might be so I never studied that part
smile.png
Interestinnnn!

OH and some guy messaged me today on my private email (not private but ya know what i mean) telling you to check out strombergs site on white coturnix quail. But I'd never reccomend that site for color IDing because they have wrong information on colors. If their information was correct (which it's not- color wise) your A & M quail in the above picture, is actually an english. But your bird is not an english because theres no such thing as an english lol. What happened (which I tried explaining to teh guy who emailed me) was that people didnt pay attention when breeding their A &ms for jumbo.....so smaller a & ms were produced and they decided to make a new name for them. They are no different than A & Ms other than in size. According to strombergs site, an English will have a brown spot on the back of the head.....and A & MS are pure white...thats POOCACA lol. A &Ms come in pure white, but the faulty birds (just on color no biggie) can hav ea brown patch on the back of their head that doesnt make them a different strain (color). I have both pure white a & ms, and a & ms with a brown patch, it's no biggie I'll just breed it out. I also have some a &ms that are pretty small, they just werent selectively bred, I'll fix that withina few generations.
smile.png
----sorry this was totally off topic but since he was emailing ME to get incontact with you and since I saw that your a & m has brown on the back of it's head I thought i'd ramble on about their geneitcs and why breeders use stuff like that as a ploy to try to get more $$$$ on pretending they have a brand new strain when it's nothing more than a poorly bred (since they're not jumbo in size) tiny bird. It's a big pet peeve of mine when people do that to any breed of animal i could :::
smack.gif
them! LOL!

Last edited:
Well! Talk about a book!
lol.png
I have seen many pics of A&M's that have the spot on their heads. It's just from the breeders not being selective. If you start with one that has a little spot, and breed it to another that has a spot, I would think the babies would have a bigger spot! As far as the english, I'm uncertain. They are supposed to be small like pharoahs, but it doesn't say they are all white 'meat' like the A&M's.
Now you have me confused again! The A&M's are jumbos, right? I'm lost now!

Oh, and if he wants to get all technical about it, that one pictured has almost a brown face not just a spot!! The other one (not pictured
tongue.png
) has 2 itty bitty spots on it's head. But they are 4 weeks old, and bigger than my pharoahs, so I know they aren't 'english'.

Have you asked on your quail site if there really is an english? Or is it just for buttons? (gonna make you do your homework now!)

Last edited:
LOL I'm good for typing a book
roll.png
been that way my whole time i've used the computer hehe. Figures....i *talk* more online than I do in real life---i'm a pretty shy person.

ANYWHOOOO, if ya wanna get technical then my tiny A&MS are Englishes but that's not the case. English is just a name someone did on the smaller A &MS if that makes sense.
smile.png
I wont even step foot on using that name for coturnix. BUT I am going to contact the breeders on another group im on "coturnix corner" they will be able to tell me if there is or isnt a difference. If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it
smile.png
Butfor now i stand my ground, there is no english lol!!!

Coturnix Corner just got back to me on another issue. Someone said that A &MS were hybrids and I knew they werent. But to back my case, I asked them (they are breeders in other countries) and they said it's a bunch ofhorse poo that A &Ms are just selectively bred coturnix's that anyone can make new strains that are completely different looking when they selectivelybreed that A &Ms are in no way shape or form hybrids I knew I was correct but I wanted to make sure just from them and yep...A &MS are not hybrids.
smile.png

I'm gonna figure out how to copy and paste your button picture to post on the buttonquailusa group here in a sec...on my new laptop here, I understand how to use it, the hard part is getting my fingers to do whati need to do without pressing the wrong buttons. It's hard enough typing on new keys hehe!!! I'll let youknow what the breeders say about your girls color AND what coturnixcorner says about englishes as soon as I can
big_smile.png
hehe! It's fun researching
big_smile.png

Niki

Back
Top Bottom