Since I'm trying to rehome him, it would be nice to know what he is...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sommrluv, Nov 14, 2009.

1. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Amauracana, or Easter Egger?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If personality matters at all, he's very social, pleasant, a little afraid of me, and the RIR Roo I have. He also at 22 weeks or so is come into his crow, but not overly until today (we introduced some new hens and now he's crowing every ten minutes. We've been saying we've wanted to rehome him for the sheer face I have neighbors somewhat near me that work nights, but I've also noticed he crows when he sees a hawk. He seems quiet most of the time. He lets me pet him and eats from my hand, but is mounting the hens and I think they aren't fans! [​IMG] But he is pretty!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Hmmmm, your pics aren't showing up for me. Nevermind, i just rechecked and they're there now. [​IMG]

He is pretty. i'm not sure what the difference is between Ameraucanas and EEs, but i'm sure someone else does. Is he a rooster you want to keep? Because perhaps you can keep him in a shed or something at night so he doesn't disturb the neighbors. As for the mating, i've never known a hen who wanted a big rooster standing on them. But if he is generally polite about it and not over-mating them, they should get used to it and stop screaming after a while.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Easter Egger cockerel.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    He sure is pretty. I'm no expert so won't hazard a guess as to what he is but didn't really understand the following quote:
    Quote:He is certainly not a RIR (Rhode Island Red) roo so not sure what you were intending to say?

5. sommrluv

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Thanks for the responses!

I have a RIR red I'm rehoming as well, and basically I'm just saying I figured two Roo's in a small flock would be more aggressive, but they are not. This is my first flock, and my hubby hasn't had chickens in years.

We just weren't supposed to get Roos, so in our area, we have large lots that back up to farmland, but the houses are quite close together and I don't think it's quite fair to keep him.

"But if he is generally polite about it and not over-mating them, they should get used to it and stop screaming after a while."

I swear an old woman at my church gave me the same advice about my honeymoon.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    [​IMG]

7. EE

Im not much known for breed chicken but I can tell the difference between an EE and a Amaur.

8. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. sommrluv

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    LOL, That was out of my head and through the keyboard before I could control it. My husband was horrified.

10. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Quote:We laughed out loud when we saw what you had written first, and then shrieked with laughter when we saw your followup comment. This has made my day!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]:lau [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]:lau [​IMG]:lau [​IMG]:lau [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by