Since it turns out I have roo's now....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sinistershelly, Aug 13, 2011.

1. sinistershelly

sinistershelly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    My hubby asked me a very good question the other day. It turned out that in our grp of 9 hens, we may have about 3-4 roosters. The question(s) would be, if a rooster is around and he mates, can we still eat those eggs or do we need to be separating egg layers and possible brooders? [​IMG] And since they all grew up together, is it ok to have all the roo's together just how they are?. I ask because I read in another thread that it's recommended to only have about 1 roo to every 10 or so hens. But not sure how that works for chicks that all came together. Im such a chicken noob [​IMG]

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    You can still eat fertilized eggs. It won't hurt anything unless you let the chicken sit on the eggs for a couple days.

3. mk4lh

mk4lh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Swanzey
    With only 6 or 7 hens it would be best to only have one rooster. Otherwise the poor hens won't get any down time so to speak. [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Your hens will be far happier with the attentions of only one rooster. The eggs will be fine for eating. They will not develop unless incubated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by