Since they come from an egg... is it still inbreeding?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, May 15, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well.... Ive been wondering lately if there was such a thing as "inbreeding" with ducks.

I mean obviously it seems there is.... but they come from an egg.. can someone please explain this to me?

I mean I have three drakes in with my females, and one is the son of my buff duck. She had some ducklings that I am sure are his, is this inbreeding?

Im just off because of the whole they came from an egg thing

2. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Mother on son is line breeding....nothing wrong with that.

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Ummmm. We all come from eggs. All of us.

4. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Inbreeding is more Brother/Sister isnt it?

Well I think they are both techinacly inbreeding, but if the duckling is fine, then it really doesnt matter!! [​IMG]

5. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:LOL, I meant the eggs that you ducks sit on , go in a bator, or on the breakfast plate . Good one though, it had me laughing.

6. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    Inbreeding "concentrates" the gene pool. So if your new ducklings' mother is both mother and grandmother (dad's mom too), you are more likely to have higher gene frequency. This can intensify your good characteristics, but you'll also see some crazy and sometimes lethal things come up that were recessive gene traits. The way they would get that recessive trait is by having 2 of that gene. If their mother has 1 and gave it to her son, who passed it on to his offspring that is also her offspring, then there is a likely chance of that gene pair showing you something you would have never seen otherwise. (oh boy I've gone cross eyed on that one)

Any animal being bred to someone that is mother, father, sister, brother, is inbreeding.

Line breeding (keeping it in the family, but it's extended family) is like grandmother/grandson, great grands, or cousins/uncle/aunt.

(I feel so dirty talking about this, like there's some old rooster sitting in a rocking chair out back with a banjo and a shot gun or something)

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Yes it's inbreeding, but the duck's don't mind it. Keep an eye on offspring for defects, and it's a good idea every few years to swap in some fresh breeders so you don't double up on lethal genes.

8. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    The hatch came out great, there were 11 ducklings, 3 different dads. one of the dads was a son. all the babies came out great, and I plan on selling most of them any way.

9. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    My Little Sister's Farm :

.....This can intensify your good characteristics, but you'll also see some crazy and sometimes lethal things come up that were recessive gene traits. .....

Is this good or bad? I got a little cross eyed too, reading that [​IMG]

10. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    My Little Sister's Farm :

Inbreeding "concentrates" the gene pool. So if your new ducklings' mother is both mother and grandmother (dad's mom too), you are more likely to have higher gene frequency. This can intensify your good characteristics, but you'll also see some crazy and sometimes lethal things come up that were recessive gene traits. The way they would get that recessive trait is by having 2 of that gene. If their mother has 1 and gave it to her son, who passed it on to his offspring that is also her offspring, then there is a likely chance of that gene pair showing you something you would have never seen otherwise. (oh boy I've gone cross eyed on that one)

Any animal being bred to someone that is mother, father, sister, brother, is inbreeding.

Line breeding (keeping it in the family, but it's extended family) is like grandmother/grandson, great grands, or cousins/uncle/aunt.

(I feel so dirty talking about this, like there's some old rooster sitting in a rocking chair out back with a banjo and a shot gun or something)

Quote:couldn't have said it better myself. the smaller gene pool will give recessive genes a bigger chance to show up, so i would watch and see how the duckings do. if they are fine, you have no worries [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by