Singing Chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mbaur83, May 12, 2011.

1. mbaur83

mbaur83 New Egg

Jan 14, 2009
    I know that chickens aren't songbirds, but I swear one of my buff orps was singing today! It sounded like a little trilling noise. Has anyone else heard something like this, or have I picked up those last few fries and completed my happy meal?

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    You're not crazy. Chickens have a whole vocabulary. From the "watch out, flying predator" to "hey lady, we're hungry" and my personal favorite "it's getting late, let's get ready for bed."

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    No fries for you! [​IMG] You're not crazy. They make many, many different sounds. If she was trilling, she was probably happy. On days we're late getting out to the coop to let the flock out (which is most days, since they'd be happy to go out the moment their eyes open), they stand at the vent doors and "curse" at us. It is a loud, prolonged, very unhappy sound.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, I love the trill! It's their happy Sound, or one of 'em, any way. I love it when a sleepy chick, not more than five weeks old, settles down in the crook of my arm and trills.
    [​IMG]

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I LOVE their different vocalizations! (even when they are "cursing" at me for letting them out so late!! Mama's not an early bird!) [​IMG]

6. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    I have 28 4 & 5 wk olds in a brooder in a spare bathroom and they all trill as they settle in for the night. It is so sweet when a bunch of them do it together. I can hear it from my bedroom at night. [​IMG] Now, the "wake up human it is time for breakfast" squacking, I could do without... [​IMG]

7. mbaur83

mbaur83 New Egg

Jan 14, 2009
    Good to know! It was such a pretty sound I couldn't imagine that it was inadvertent.

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Mine sing too. And when they do the egg song my 6year old thinks they are laughing.

9. GA Dad - Chicken Man

GA Dad - Chicken Man Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Stockbridge, GA
    Mine go crazy when it's bedtime... and then quietness! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by