Singing egg song, now what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gaillardia, Jul 13, 2010.

1. gaillardia

gaillardia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Larkspur, CO
    My RIR sang one egg song two days ago. Today, she sang it 3 times in a row, so I went over to where she was hanging out, but no egg? How long was it between the first egg song and your first egg? I would like to get an idea of the range of time. Thanks!

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I think the first layer i ever had (a buff orp) sang for at least a month before i saw an egg. It was excrutiating.

3. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    They can sing it when startled or excited too. The only reliable sign I've found is the "squat." It seems about 2 weeks after they squat for me, the eggs start coming.

You can also feel the pelvic bones when they're getting wide enough to pass an egg, but it took an experienced chicken keeper to show me. I couldn't ever figure out what to feel for by reading how to do it.

If she's got her big girl voice and is using it, I bet you'll see eggs any day!

4. gaillardia

gaillardia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Larkspur, CO
    I might explode if this takes another month [​IMG] They free range, so I am checking their hangout spots every day (several times a day to be honest). There is an awesome nest someone made in a big bunch of grass and it would be so easy to reach. I can't believe I am so obsessed about this first egg! No squatting yet, but I will look for that behavior.

5. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    This kind of expectant behavior (on your part) will probably go on indefinitely. The urge to check multiple times per day will become habit, and you will marvel repeatedly over the hen fruit you find. What? Ohhhhh. . . you meant the behavior of the birds???? Yeah. What THEY said. :::::nodding vigorously:::::::[​IMG]

6. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    How old are your birds?

I have quite an assortment, and 26 weeks seems to be about my average age of first egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by