Singing The First Time Blues

BreezeCrestChickens

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 18, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm excited but dreading my first hatch too. I'm using a still air HovaBator incubator, just the small model. I have an old house so trying to keep the temp at a steady 100 is hard but it averages 100-102. It has a 'trench' that goes around on the bottom for the water and it goes all the way around the outside of the incubator. Anyways...I tried candling but can't seem to see the inside of the eggs because the shells are quite thick. I have easter eggers and brown production hens, so you can imagine my frustration. I have 2 roosters with my productions and one with my easter eggers. Just 5 eggs to hatch in 5 days. The humidity has been pretty level, I fill it every 4 days. Guess I'm just winging it on a high hope and prayer even 1 will hatch! ....ugh :( I hand turn as well, 2-3 times a day depending on how busy I get. Any suggestions for what I might be able to do next time though?? I mean...with the resources that I have. I really can't get a humidifier, fan, turner...the sorta fancy things because well its just not in the budget. Thanks in advance.

Good Luck! I hope the hatch goes really well!
jumpy.gif

Nurse_Turtle, you mean without water? Or with little water? Its my first time incubating on my own but watching my friends use theirs they've always had water...although they had the fancier more convenient models too.

Dry hatch is running the humidity around 35% days 1 - 18 and up it to 65% days 19 - 21. I think people living in humid climates don't need to add water to get the 35% but my climate is dry where I live so add some water.

You won't know your humidity unless you have something to read it. I use a HovaBator 1588 and with the center well filled my humidity is 45% which is to high for days 1 -18. so I fill 2 baby bottles the 4 oz size and place them along the side of my turner. This gives me 35% and because they are deep I only have to refill them couple times. The last 3 days I fill the center and middle wells on the bottom try and this gives me 65%. The outside humidity in my house is around 20%. If you live where the outside humidity is high then don't add water till last 3 days.

This has worked for me. You will get it dialed in after a couple hatches, I suggest not using shipped eggs till you do. You can be running everything perfect and get none or a few to hatch with shipped eggs. Then you think you did something wrong when you didn't.

Good luck!
jumpy.gif

Thanks for the advice! I guess I started asking at a bad time. Went into lock down this morning. Praying...ALOT! I have 15 eggs in there but I'm really only expecting a few. Which is ok, was worth the try. And that's right, I'll learn for next time. I'm a little worried because we had scrambled eggs for breakfast the other morning and I noticed out of a dozen eggs I cracked there was only 5 fertile ones. Guess if Mr. Rooster doesn't want to do his job...he might find himself target practice and in the soup pot!!! I wouldn't get shipped eggs because I DEFINITELY know I'd muck it up somehow LOL! Besides I have enough of my mutts to keep me happy and the eggs a comin'! I just hatch them out for family and friends really. Just a family hatchery on the side :) I'll post pictures if anything comes up! Er...cracks out? Hehehe!
fl.gif

Well update. I didn't think anything would come. HONESTLY! Today is the 3rd day over my due date. I came in from getting the mail, opened my parcel and all of a sudden I heard a shrill peep. I actually did not know what it was at first. Scared me!!! I'm home alone, house quiet and I thought a bird had gotten into my house somehow. Yeah...quite the mama hen I am
barnie.gif
Well! For an hour I've had 2 eggs pip'd! And lots of chriping!!! PRAY FOR MY LITTLE ONES PLEASE!! Everytime they chirp I start to tear up!!!!
wee.gif
HAPPY THOUGHTS! One is a caramel colored production egg (most likely, cometXRIR mixed with barred rock or phoenix). The other is a pure Easter Egger, green. WEEEEEEUUUUUUUU!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom