1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Single baby chick...am I doing this right?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rayfan25, Mar 12, 2017.

1. rayfan25

rayfan25 New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    Tennessee
    I am a first timer...I purchased 9 Rhode Island Reds about 2 weeks ago. I went to the feed store to get more food today and there was 1 single baby in the box all by itself shivering (at the store). My kids instantly wanted to save it; as did I...so my husband agreed. The store let me take this single baby home since it had no others to help keep it warm. I placed it in the coop with my 2 week ones; and they weren't really fond of the baby; so I made her her own little area in a box inside my living room. I have a microfiber washcloth and a small little heat light. She curls up underneath the washcloth and light and sleeps quietly. I keep check on her because I want her to make it! Should she be eating and drinking more than she is?(sorry I keep calling her a she-I just want her to be a girl [​IMG])...I have been taking her out every couple hours and showing her where the food is. She sits down and eats a few pecks and then I show her where her water is, and she makes no attempt to drink. She just stays in the sitting position. I dip my finger in the water and place it on her beak and she will make a slight attempt to take water drops off my finger. But then goes over and curls up under the cloth/light. I saw people say something about sugar water? What is that for? What can I do to make sure she's drinking?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us and congrats on your new little flock.

Adding sugar / honey to water helps provide more energy. You could also vitamin supplements / electrolytes to the water. You may have a little more success by gently dipping her beak in the water - that way she should associate the drinker with accessing water.

Not sure if its possible, but having a separator in the main brooder with the other chicks would help her integrate with them, and the commotion may perk her up a bit (as well as having other chicks to imitate, in terms of getting water, feeding etc).

These links may be helpful at the moment:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

More generally, you'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
    CT

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can get her Polyvisol pediatric drops (NO IRON), Walmart has it and probably other pharmacies. Give her 2 drops by mouth 3 x a time. Put the drops just inside her beak so if she doesn't want to swallow she can push them out. You do teach a chick to drink by gently dipping their beak in the water. It may take a few times till she gets the idea. Use a shallow dish with clean pebbles or marbles in it to prevent her from drowning if she falls in. Maybe your chick feed is too coarse for her, if you would dampen it a bit it may be more appealing to her. You can attract her to the bowl by tapping much like her mama would do.

I think the small light isn't giving her enough heat. If she is ill(from the way it sounds at TSC,) she may not survive regardless and it wouldn't be your fault. I don't know how old she is but may need the heat at 90 degrees or so at her level. Do you have a thermometer to check that? A only chick usually likes the comfort of a small stuffed toy to cuddle . Please be sure to leave part of her area away from the light, so she can move there if too hot.

Sometimes you can get a chick to eat a little warm oatmeal or a finely mashed hard boiled egg (moistened a bit with plain yogurt.) Hope she will improve
    [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, rayfan25, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! CTKen and D'Diva gave you some great advice and links so I'll just wish you all the best and thank you for joining BYC! [​IMG]

5. chameleon

chameleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, and [​IMG] Everyone here has already given you great advice, so I won't add anything. Thank you for saving that poor little chick and I hope she'll be ok. Please let us know how she does.

6. rayfan25

rayfan25 New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    Tennessee
    Thank you all for the guidance! I have been dipping her beak in water a few times before getting her to take water from my finger or syringe. She seems to eat fine when I place her next to her food. She just sits though...almost like she's too lethargic to move. I am getting her some of the drops that were recommended for sure! She has an area she can get out away from the light, only she doesn't want to. I hope this baby makes it; as I am becoming attached like I would to a family pet! Thank you all for your help...fingers crossed and prayers this baby is ok!

(A little humor), I told my husband that at this rate, she was going to be a family pet (indoors) and I was going to have to litter train it. My yorkie loves to help me check on her and when I let my dog sniff her, she licks the baby chicks head....hope she doesn't think it tastes like chicken [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've already received some good advice so I'll just say hello and send best wishes for the little one!

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to the forum! I am fixing to celebrate my first year on here, and I have loved it so much, I hope you will too! There is tons of great info and friendly folks, so pull up a chair and make yourself at home! :frow

~Cuz

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under rayfan25 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice and links to some great starting points, I will just wish you and the little one all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by