Single Baby Chicken....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jr_nb, Aug 29, 2007.

1. jr_nb

jr_nb New Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    Hi all. I have one chic - about 3 - 4 weeks old. Feathering in fast. I have him/her (I hope it's a hen) in a 10 gallon aquarium with straw etc. I am converting a large shingled dog-house with a shelf inside into the coop. Along with about 15' X 15' grassy area made with chicken wire fencing in front of the dog-house door. I will cover it with fresh hay as well.
    My question is: when will I know when to place the chic outside, and will one chic need a heat source in the dog-house and if so, what type of light would be sufficient. When should the chic be taken out of the 10g aquarium?

p.s. I live in the Maritimes, and we have quite cold conditions in the winter, but my friend's chickens do fine outside and have been seen sleeping in the trees to keep out of the elemets. [​IMG] She calls them "tree-chickens". lol

Thanks for your time.
    Jim

2. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    Chickens like to live in flocks. You may want to see if your friend could give or sell you one of hers, if she has any small enough.

I was in your situation a about a month and a half ago. I couldn't find another chick right around me so I bought 25 more. LOL. Then I found out that you can get a few chickens from MyPetChicken.com You might want to check it out.

3. jr_nb

jr_nb New Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    Doesn't answer all of my questions, but thanks just the same.

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    My question is: when will I know when to place the chic outside, and will one chic need a heat source in the dog-house and if so, what type of light would be sufficient. When should the chic be taken out of the 10g aquarium?

Your chick should be feathered out enough to go out by 4-5 weeks old.

p.s. I live in the Maritimes, and we have quite cold conditions in the winter, but my friend's chickens do fine outside and have been seen sleeping in the trees to keep out of the elemets. She calls them "tree-chickens". lol

Chickens are very easy snacks for predators and should always be locked in their house at night. Your friend is lucky she still has her chickens letting them sleep in trees.

You would probably want to put a heat lamp in the house at night in the winter.

RebelsHope is right. Having just 1 chicken is not a good idea. She needs a friend. Chickens are social birds/flock birds and need to be in the company of other chickens. Yes, chickens can get depressed and if you keep the one chick alone you will have a depressed chicken. You need to get a least 1 more or find the poor chick a home with other chickens.​

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I agree, chick should be put outside as soon as it outgrows it's tank and you have to make certain the dog run is secure. I would cover the run portion so that things will stay dry. As for heat in the winter, if you get a few more girls, you probably don't need to put in a heat lamp. I do recommend getting a friend for your bird though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by