Single BO seeks love and companionship with the right Roo UPDATE love!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by willkatdawson, Feb 27, 2009.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Hi my name is Millie I'm a BO. I'm looking to settle down with that "right guy". I've dated the same guy for the past year but, we recently broke things off because of his bad temper. I need a guy who will stay by my side while I'm out with my sisters even if times get tough. I live right by my moms house and I won't put up with anyone who doesn't love her too. She's really nice if you give her a chance I know you'll love her. I go to her house several times a day to see her and she serves yogurt, flax seeds and all kinds of good treats. I've sent a picture so you can see what I look like and I would love to see a picture of you. I want you to know your breed and looks are not that important to me because I don't plan on having chicks. If your really sweet your my guy!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    TOTALLY OFF TOPIC, but I love the patio area! Pretty chickens, too! Hope Millie can find a boyfriend soon, have you tried Match.com?

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    That picture is wonderful! You could not have gotten a more symmetrical shot of those chickens if you had tried. The way they're spaced, they way the two have their heads up... wow!

4. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    sorry about being off topic. I started to write about what breeds of roo people have had the most luck with as far as temperment, them it turned into finding the right roo. I've contacted help and soon I'll know how to move it.
    Thanks

5. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:YOU .... er .........MILLIE.... is not off topic- I was by starting on that fabulous patio!

Not you, me- I swerved! Sorry, I get so eggcited about gorgeous stonework, and gorgeous hens. [​IMG]

6. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I'm glad you like the front walk, my husband and I put those in ourselves one night. I say one night because we didn't start until the afternoon and we finished around 2:00 am. We were younger then now my bedtime is as early as I can make it.

7. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    That is beautiful work. And as HenMama2 said, gorgeous pic of the flock.

I found an EE roo a few months ago on my local Craig's List. Don't forget to quarantine the new roo, no matter how healthy he seems. I kept John Henry about 40 feet away for a month, then 2 weeks of wire separation. When I finally added him to the group, they were all buddies by then.

Good luck Miss Millie, be picky!

8. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    How old was John Henry when you got him? Is he still maintaining a good attitude? Thanks for the tip, I'll try craigslist.

9. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:John Henry was alledgedly "about a year old". He was also listed as an Amerucana, which he isn't. He's a mutt EE roo, and a handsome dude- so he says! [​IMG]

He was absolutely terrified of everyone at first- his circumstances were less than ideal.... ahem. He no longer panics when I go in the pen, he has not ever tried to challenge me. He is still pretty scared of anyone on 2 legs. Time, gentleness, sweet quiet talk and patience are key with a scared chicken.

Most roos need to be taught that YOU are the Alpha chicken- the top of the pecking order. I rear up, spread my "wings", back them in a corner and shout at them. And I repeat as needed. DH finds it highly amusing! [​IMG]

10. NuthatchKnollChickens

NuthatchKnollChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    Hi Mille (and sisters)-

I have a small flock of BOs (and am adding some Barred Rocks in April)... and I have two Speckled Sussex roos. The roos are very sweet and not at all aggressive to hen or keeper. As a bonus, they are very handsome. I recommend Speckled Sussex highly, if you can find one. My feed store carries them but I'm not sure how common they are elsewhere (the hatchery catalogs say they are somewhat rare). If your feed store has them you should be able to find one free for the taking from someone who ended up with a cockerel in their order and didn't want one! Does your feed store have a bulletin board for that sort of thing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by