Single breed flocks??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Intheswamp, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Do many people keep/specialize in just one breed of chickens? I'm trying to decide rather to get just one breed so if I want to raise chicks I won't have a problem with trying to segregate two or more breeds from one another. The idea of keeping a breed "true" appeals to me.

Some of the breeds that I am considering are:

Wyandotte
    Australorps
    Barred Rocks
    Speckled Sussex
    Buff Orps

Some needs/wants:
    *Dual purpose with a emphasis on egg production.
    *Standard breed
    *Heat tolerant
    *Prefer brown eggs
    *Good attitudes...2+ year-old granddaughter will be chicken ranch foreman(lady?). [​IMG]
    *Do not want nervous/flighty birds

Any thoughts on a single-breed flock or any other aspect of this is more than welcome. Thanks!
    Ed

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Out of the breeds on your list, I'd go with Buff Orpingtons-all the ones I've ever had were friendly, good layers & did fine in our heat & humidity. Black chickens (like Australorps) do feel the heat more during the summer.
    I could never have just one breed though! I like the different egg colors & so does everybody else so I have several breeds.

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I think it would be fine to keep one breed - a flock of Barred Rocks or Speckled Sussex would look really neat! I think Australorps are supposed to be better egg layers, but I have found my Barred Rocks to be equally prolific in the egg department. All the breeds you mentioned are hardy. The Australorps and Buff Orps are a little bigger and might eat more than the other breeds on your list. I have never had a Speckled Sussex - it's currently on the top of my "must have" list, as I've heard great things about their personalities and production.

Of the breeds on your list, the only ones I have heard of not being as friendly are the Wyandottes, but maybe a lot of that depends on socialization and individual personalities.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I have only 2 breeds right now-2 BO hen and 1-buff Orp Roo-1 RIR hen-( i took her in cause her previous owner wasnt taking care of her-right now I have eggs waiting -from all my hens-to go inbator with a mix of eggs from a seller on BYC--EE's-Australorps and such-I am keeping just 1 roo of each kind and hoping to get a few hens of each kind-my goal is to have 5 small kennels/runs with 5 breeds going ( 1 roo and 2-3 hens per breed) I'm very new at this and my DH tells me to keep dreaming-about the 5 individual pens!--I really just want eggs of sorts and every spring gather fertile eggs-some from each breed-and replenish my stock-It's my dream at this point to get what I want and I am so positive and picky about it all-I hope I can do it-even if I have to build the coops myself-I'm a tomboy at heart sooo-It's all good!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have a bunch of 5 week old chicks that include every breed you list. The friendliest by far are the Australorps; they are the only ones that will stand still while I pick them up, and accept holding and petting readily. The BO's and BR's calm right down when I grab them, though. I raised a few Australorps last year and they were docile, excellent huge egg layers, and the roo was not a problem. Haven't raised the other breed before this year. Did not feel the Australorps had a problem with the heat last summer; did run a fan in the coop at night, and it is hardware cloth on 2 sides.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Orpington and Australorps would be the best bet in all category you listed!

Not crazy about Wyndottes which I had some many years ago and they didnt have any good personality or disposition about them. some were nasty!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They're not on your list but I have a single breed flock, LF brahmas. I have the three most common colors - lights, darks, and buff. My rooster is a dark brahma and I adore him.
    They have all the characteristics you listed as well as being cold hardy, so they're a breeze to take care of in the wintertime.
    I'm considering expanding into silkies as soon as I can afford another coop, but they will be pets only since they're not great egg layers.
    BTW, I average 11 eggs a day from my 14 hens right now.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    My sussexes would tick all your boxes; also BR or BO, which some lines will lay a bit better than sussexes (although I am averaging 4-5 eggs a day out of 5 sussexes plus 1 campine, and one of the sussexes I'm not sure is laying hardly at all, meaning the rest are laying practically daily).

I'd suggest starting with a good number of roosters and culling heavily to select one with the temperament you want, b/c of kids involved.

Have fun,

Pat

9. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    I think you can't go wrong with the Buff orps or Barred rocks. Both very friendly and calm. Nice egg layers. If you are going to keep a rooster be very careful letting him around your granddaughter. I think a single breed flock is great. It is a personal choice thing. I love my multicolored eggs and now want some colors I don't have. [​IMG]

10. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    You know instead of doing BO which are more fully feathered and might have problems with the heat, I would do Buff Rocks. They are on the rare heritage list. Yes, hatcheries have them but they are not breed to size as they real heritage homestead birds were. Not many meet the standard so that would give you something to work on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by