Single button quail seems happy I just want to be sure.

sherriehudson

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2020
My button quail approximately 3years old has been alone for over 10 months and in a new place. My son had two and one passed, then a new roommate resulted in giving up the bird. I took him to live out his time. He sings, chirps, and calls. He loves cucumbers, strawberries and grapes. He has two full sized mirrors and his favorite piece of drift wood. I was going to get a cd of nature sounds too but I worried about making him sad. I really don’t want to get another one and then continue the process when one dies. My son he never tried mating and his buddy was male also. Any suggestions?

My button quail approximately 3years old has been alone for over 10 months and in a new place. My son had two and one passed, then a new roommate resulted in giving up the bird. I took him to live out his time. He sings, chirps, and calls. He loves cucumbers, strawberries and grapes. He has two full sized mirrors and his favorite piece of drift wood. I was going to get a cd of nature sounds too but I worried about making him sad. I really don’t want to get another one and then continue the process when one dies. My son he never tried mating and his buddy was male also. Any suggestions?
If it has already been alone for that long, it could be difficult to introduce a new bird. It sounds like he’s happy! In addition to the mirrors, have you considered trying a stuffed animal????

It can be hard to tell when an animal is actually happy. Quails are social animals and do better in groups/pairs. If he has been calling, it's probably for friends.

If it has already been alone for that long, it could be difficult to introduce a new bird. It sounds like he’s happy! In addition to the mirrors, have you considered trying a stuffed animal????
I have 😊. I’m always over thinking, but if he started pecking it I was worried about it being dangerous. I considered a feather duster and maybe a potted herb. I just didn’t want to make him more lonely by adding something that doesn’t respond. I was thinking maybe recorded quail calls? Or just a nature tape to listen too. I’m going to check out a small stuffed animal. Thanks

I have 😊. I’m always over thinking, but if he started pecking it I was worried about it being dangerous. I considered a feather duster and maybe a potted herb. I just didn’t want to make him more lonely by adding something that doesn’t respond. I was thinking maybe recorded quail calls? Or just a nature tape to listen too. I’m going to check out a small stuffed animal. Thanks
i also have been known to keep loners in my brooder with chicks.....my first loner button actually bonded with my first pheasant and chukar chicks! but you have to be a little more careful in doing this with a mature male bird......I had to remove a wry neck coturnix from my subaviary yesterday because one of my male budgies just wouldn’t leave it alone!

That was my fear when I considered finding a button raiser that might take in a new guy. I didn’t want him to get hurt. I listen to him and repeat his sound. We go back and forth. I’m worried that he may be looking for a friend and I’m just mocking him. I am kind of curious as to life span. He has to be around 3 or older

That was my fear when I considered finding a button raiser that might take in a new guy. I didn’t want him to get hurt. I listen to him and repeat his sound. We go back and forth. I’m worried that he may be looking for a friend and I’m just mocking him. I am kind of curious as to life span. He has to be around 3 or older

Average is 3-6 years but some go as long as 13.

My button male has a long top beak. He is approximately 3 years old. I’ve placed a cuddle bone on the side of his cage but he has no interest. Is there anything else I can offer that he may use to wear down his beak. It does not appear to hamper his eating at this time.

Back
Top Bottom