Single Canadian goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Rholson, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Rholson

Rholson Hatching

Apr 19, 2019
    we have had a single Canadian goose at our place for a few months now. Any ideas why? Flocks have come and gone and this one remains.
    Oklahoma

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    :welcome Is the goose able to fly ? Do you have domestic geese ? Upon occasion a Canada will pair up with a domestic goose.

house.of.ducks and Miss Lydia like this.
  3. Rholson

Rholson Hatching

Apr 19, 2019
    Good question I’ve never seen it fly.
    We personally don’t have any geese. This one stays around the bend of our driveway where the water pools. It doesn’t even go to our pond

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Cant see an injury like a limp or weird looking wing?

house.of.ducks and sourland like this.
  5. Rholson

Rholson Hatching

Apr 19, 2019
    Actually today I see it walking from our driveway towards our pond which is a good distance. So maybe it has an injury? Is there someone I call to give it assistance?

6. Rholson

Rholson Hatching

Apr 19, 2019
    I looked with binoculars and it doesn’t seem to be walking with a limp. And it’s wings are tucked up against its body.
    We have a lot of geese that fly over several times a day. So this just doesn’t make sense. I’ve not seen this happen before

Miss Lydia likes this.
  7. Miss Lydia

And this goose never goes to water? Wonder what it’s eating? Does it graze on grass? If you have any waterfowl rescues around you might call and tell them about this goose. It def doesn’t seem right.

8. Rholson

Rholson Hatching

Apr 19, 2019
    We have water at the bend of our drive. It seems to graze on the prairie grass that grows around there.
    You’re right - something is wrong. We have geese all day long here land and fly off. It stays
    I think I saw it go to our neighbors pond today that is closer than ours

Miss Lydia likes this.
  9. Miss Lydia

I guess all you can do is watch and wait. If it’s not bothering you then hopefully eventually it will meet up with others and fly off. I think you’ll know soon if it’s sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: