Single chick care

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mosraven, Oct 9, 2013.

1. mosraven

mosraven New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    My step daughter works at a pet store, and some girl just dropped off what looks to be only about a 4 day old chick. I have 3 other chickens, but can't put it with them yet. It just wants me to hold it. I know I shouldn't but I'm worried it will get cold by itself. I have it in the house for now, but don't know how warm to keep it.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] It probably needs a brooder light over it's enclosure as you would do for any baby chick. If you put a mirror and a stuffed toy to cuddle with in his brooder arrangement, he won't feel so lonely - just be sure he has enough room to move away from the heated area if he gets too warm. You may want to read up in the Raising Backyard chickens thread re: raising chicks for more info. He will also need some starter mix. Put some clean marbles or pebbles in his water dish so he won't accidentally drown.

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

Good advice above. You want small chicks at, I believe, about 90 degrees F when they're as young as that. Chicks should be fine without light by the time they're a month/month and a half old (at least here, where it's warm!)

You can use a variety of different things for warmth... we have one of these workbench lamps from the hardware store that can clip onto the side of the brooder.
    When we got our first chicks we used a bedside lamp because we had nothing else. :lol:

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2013
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Would it be possible to get your chick a buddy? Chicks are generally much happier (and easier) when they have a friend to hang out with.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I agree with Sumi, chicks are very social animals and do better when raised with others of their own kind.

There is a good section about chick rearing in the Learning Center

6. mosraven

mosraven New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thank you everyone. I would gladly get him a friend, just not sure what type of chicken he is. [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I agree with the above advice. When a chick is that young it is hard to tell what sex/gender it is. Do you have a local feed store that is selling chicks right now?

9. mosraven

mosraven New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yes. I hadn't planned on getting more. The feed store doesn't have any that look like him. He has a white dot on his head, and from what I've read on here, it means it's a rooster. A sex link of some sort.

10. mosraven

mosraven New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    He's very lovey. He snuggles into my hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by