Single chick hatching and raising

Fuzzy-Feet

In the Brooder
May 12, 2020
So one of my hens went broody for the first time at the beginning of this month, and has successfully incubated one out of four eggs she had been sitting on (the other three she broke on accident...and ate...:(). The last remaining egg seems to be doing ok, and even pipped this afternoon, but I can't get any companion chicks for it once it hatches. Will it die if I bring it inside once it hatches and try raising it by itself? Or should I leave it with its mother (who might be homicidal, don't know yet) and my other adult chickens out in my coop? Also, how can I tell if I need to assist it in hatching? I need some good advice here. (P.S. this is my first time actually hatching an egg.)

Leave egg, and chick with broody hen. Mama hen will care for it. She can raise just one chick. Have feed and water available to hen and chick, so they do not have to venture far from where nest is.
I suspect the other eggs broke because the shells were too weak. Noting you can do about those now. In future hen incubation, make sure all your layers get sufficient calcium. (Just try your best :hugs ) Ask, and we can advise you how to do such, if you are not sure.
You can bring it inside into a warm brooder once it hatches. Your brooder needs to be ideally warm, and temp lowered weekly by 5°F .. Do you have such a setup now??
My personal opinion, is removing chick from hen is opposite what peeps do on a regular basis. They incubate inside incubator, and then try to find broody hen to raise the chicks.

Ask anything else you are not sure of. Here is a huge community of chicken enthusiast here to help you.:thumbsup
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Back
Top Bottom