Single chick- HELP!- update

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by libbyhan, Jun 28, 2010.

1. libbyhan

libbyhan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    We bought a pair of bantams (now 3.5 weeks) and just lost one. The remaining chick is freaking out. I've got several stuffed animals (one that's a chick and she snuggles with her), but she's not happy. Is it safe to get a chick from a local farm and mix them? We have a flock of standard chicks- 10-12 weeks- that are already in the coop. This bantam is TINY and can't be mixed. I knew that this might happen and went to the feed store last week to try and get a third- they were out.

Help!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I just had the same problem. Put a mirror in there until you can add another baby. Mine spent hours staring at the chick in the mirror. It kept him occupied until I could add a couple more babies in there. Mine ignored the stuffed animals, but the mirror was a huge hit!

Good luck!

3. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    i had to do the mirror as well with my EE...it made her much happier..now she has 9 others to keep her company..i think she would rather have the mirror back!!!

4. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    get that poor baby a bro. or sis asap![​IMG]

5. libbyhan

Apr 27, 2010
    Will do the mirror trick asap. She's sitting wrapped in a towel on my lap now. She's so sad and so are we- my 6 year old cried herself to sleep.

We'll get another chick asap. I'm in MA- north central- and will drive to pick up. I guess that we'd be OK giving our bantam up to someone with chicks the same age, but would prefer a 2-4 week old to take home. So sad.
    Here's Dory- our survivor. This pic is about 2-3 weeks old...

[​IMG]

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Try posting in the Wanted section. I posted there looking for a baby to help mine out and a very sweet local BYCer popped up with a couple of great chicks about the same age. I found friends for my baby and made a friend myself in the bargain. [​IMG]

7. libbyhan

Apr 27, 2010
    I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!!!!

I already found a lady 10 minutes from my house with black cochin bantams about 3 weeks old. IDEAL for us. Our poor little cross beak isn't even cold yet and we've found another.

THANK YOU everyone!

8. muffi

muffi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Ayer, Massachusetts
    Wow, I was just about to post that you could have one of my bantam cochins, but I doubt I'm as close as 10 min from you! Good luck!

9. libbyhan

Apr 27, 2010
    You ARE about 10 minutes from me!!!!! I'm in Lunenburg and I'm headed to Townsend tomorrow to pick up a cochin bantam. You are so sweet to offer to give me one. Thank you! If things don't work out, I may PM you.

Have I mentioned- I LOVE this board!

10. muffi

muffi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Ayer, Massachusetts
    Quote:Wow, small world! Sure, just let me know if you need one of mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by