Single chick? Urgent please

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Kitei, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Kitei

Kitei Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    One of my hens has been sat on a pair of eggs, and today one hatched while I was out, and was killed. I'm assuming killed, as it looked like it had been trying to escape. The other is pipping, and I've set up the incubator to move it into when it hatches until I can set up a small brooder tomorrow (assuming it hatches, maybe it wont).

Will a single chick be okay on it's own? I'm quite concerned about it getting cold, etc, despite the heat lamp (since they normally huddle at night).

In the past we've simply searched for day old birds to buy in and join single chicks, but Chinese Quail are a lot harder to source even as adults, so I doubt I'll be able to find any day olds.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Try adding a mirror so that it can bond with it's image and a feather duster or something fuzzy to snuggle with.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    A mirror is a great idea. You can also put in small stuffed animals and soft toys to snuggle into. Even stuffed animal birds with wings that the chick can crawl under the wings. You can also use a feather duster, turned feathers down and prop it up in the corner and the chick will snuggle into the feathers.

Birds are highly sociable creatures, but can be raised as single birds. Once the little one ages a few days, giving it a lot of human attention will help it cope and eventually it will probably bond with you. It will grow up just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by