Single chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FLGardenguy, Sep 13, 2011.

1. FLGardenguy

FLGardenguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    What's the rule on raising a single chick when it comes to heat...which is more efficient..an overhead light or a heating pad?...just a thought...thanks guys for all of your help...Rob

2. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    Can you get the little fuzz butt a companion. Chickens are very social, so don't know how well a lone chick will do. Might want to maybe put a stuff animal in there with it. Personally I would use the heat lamp, that way you actually know when it goes out.

3. FLGardenguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Thanks for the advice..i'm hoping a few more will pop out but i think he might be on his own..

4. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    Have you candled to see if others are still alive?

5. FLGardenguy

Nov 22, 2010
    I have but i tink there are a few that just did'nt make it...the time is due and they arent there but we'll see...

6. mommywoes

mommywoes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I have one lone chick and he/she is doing great! I gave him/her a small stuffed dog and he/she cuddles up with it to nap.

7. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I have a single chick and he's 8 weeks now. He's fine. Super social with people and dogs. Our problem we're encountering now is that its getting cold and he doesn't have a friend to keep him warm. He's still in a brooder in our garage since the other 2 will still hurt him in the coop. But we gave him a soft towel to sleep with when he was a baby. I put him in view of the other chickens so he would learn what to do, but thats about it. Not sure how we're going to integrate him into the coop, but we still have awhile for that yet.

8. mommywoes

mommywoes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Quote:You can try a dog kennel within the coop to integrate him slowly. Also I've been told it's best to add a new chicken at night because supposably the chickens rise in morning and thing the newbie has already been there. I don't know how true that is but you never know.

9. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Thank you mommywoes. That is the plan when the time comes. Right now we're just waiting for him to catch up in size to the others. They're only 1 month apart, but the older ones are still quite a bit bigger. We tried introducing them one time just to get them used to each other a little bit, and if I hadn't been holding the baby they would have killed him instantly.

10. svan

svan New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    I currently have 13 chickens most are a year and a half, two are 3 years old.

My daughter was asked to homecoming with the
    "Don't chicken out come to homecoming with me" and of course we are now proud owners of a new baby chick. Quite cute, but......

So the chick is about a week old and by herself in the bathroom. Initially she was looking for her friends, but now she is quiet.

Question - should I get another one? will she get destroyed when I put her in with the rest of the flock?
    any suggestions would be awesome.

We have raised chicks for a while, but usually in the spring and of course more than one,.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by